suspension mods. :-?

rtoney9

How is everyone? Hope the holidays went well. The time is closing in to my plan for the suspension lift and tire upgrade. I have a question or two. I have dressed up my jeep alot since I bought it(crome hood kit, lamp stoneguards, bugflector, grille inserts, hdlght bezels). I want to put a 2.5 suspension lift on my jeep this spring. will I need to have tc lwr kit, or anything special or will the standard kit be enough for my '95 YJ hardtop? are dropped pitman arms necessary and also how durable is this lift going to be? What are the best brands to use? I want to run 31x10.5 BFG T/A All terrains. I do not do much hardcore offroading but I hunt alot, and plus it is my daily driver.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

You should not need to drop your transfer case with a 2.5 inch lift... and that would be quite sufficient for 31 inchers. The drop pitman arm is not absolutely required here... but could be used to keep a near stock ride. Any brand is sufficient.... especially if you put it in yourself... that way, you know what is where, and what it should look like all the time. If you have someone else put it in, see if you can be there while its getting done... You always want to be a part of your Jeep's makeovers. Anyway... most lifts are pretty much the same thing. A 2.5 is just about always going to be a new set of springs, which are easy to change provided the bolts come out with no hassle. Base your choice on price/durability/warranty... keep us posted[addsig]

2.5" will be enough room for 31's. 2.5" can easily be had with new springs. Very easy to do in an afternoon. New springs will change your ride a little bit, but in my book a bigger Jeep is always a better Jeep...

You may need some longer shocks, but those are easily gotten at Autozone...

let us know what you decide on-

P.S.- check ebay for suspension parts, sometimes you can save some $$ on there!!![addsig]

thanks guys. ya'll are lots of help. I will let you know when I dicide on everything (brand and all) safe journey

[addsig]

About the pitman arm drop. You really should put it on. My cousin had a 2 1/2' inch

lift with lots of bump steer. AKA death wobble where your steering is flexing up and

down. This causes your tires to go in and out at opposing directions, bad thing.

He put on the rubicon express on and it lined his drag link up with his track bar.

Death wobble is gone.[addsig]

As far as a Tcase drop...not sure if you will need it or not....put the lift on first and then drive it and if you get driveshaft vibes then you need a kit.[addsig]

if you are not going to be doing alot of offroading and it's primaraly a daily driver than you are not too concerned about ground clearence..put a t-case drop in to eliminate any unwanted driveline vibs.. it's not a big deal and is the easiest part of the lift to do.. also do not drive far with out putting in a dropped pitman arm... like some one here noted "death wobble" he's not kidding.. good luck.. [addsig]

For a 2-1/2" I would go with BDS. The kit is not a lot of $$ and it performs awsome. We have a number of YJ's running that kit. Comes with the transfercase drop in the kit new springs, no add a leafs, and shocks. Be careful of the cheap kits on ebay. Some of them are cheap for a reason. Stay away from the rough country crap, I know plenty of people who bought it and found that they have no lift after a couple months. The springs don't hold up...

ecor[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>About the pitman arm drop. You really should put it on. My cousin had a 2 1/2' inch

lift with lots of bump steer. AKA death wobble where your steering is flexing up and

down. This causes your tires to go in and out at opposing directions, bad thing.

He put on the rubicon express on and it lined his drag link up with his track bar.

Death wobble is gone.</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't need a drop pitman arm at 2.5". To avoid bumpteer make sure the front track bar is close to parallel with the draglink.

Bumpsteer is not death wobble, and should not be confused as being the same. YJ's are not known to have death wobble, it's primarily a coil spring deal with the inverted Y steering. The YJ's wheels can not go opposite directions as the front tires are connected via the tie rod so they always go the same direction, unlike a TJ and XJ.

Death wobble is a violent shaking of the front end that is usually only stopped by coming to a complete stop. Bumpsteer is when the steering wheel turns to one side when the front axle moves straight up and down, as encoutering a speed bump. Two different problems, neither you should encouter with a 2.5" lift.[addsig]

Back