suspention lift combo questions...

Joopin

Super Moderator

I am trying to decide what to do with my 91 4.0 5spd here... lifts that is. I was looking at a 3 inch body lift in summit mag. and it said it was "not to be used with suspetion lifts" Why would they say that? Can you put a body and suspention lift on the same jeep? The suspention lift I was thinking about doing is a SOA, it's cheap, and I've heard many people say they lilke the results... I was wondering what kind of height I would end up with if I did an SOA llift, I heard it was about 6".. The only reason I would do a body lift is to tied me over until I have the time or place to do the SOA, but if the SOA gives me 6" then I wouldn't want to go any higher than that... you can tell by reading this I am quite confused, I just need to know the FACTS so I don't have to second guess everything! Thanks for any help... ~Joop[addsig]

the SOA will give about 5" more if you use new springs or lift springs.

not sure why they would say not to use the 3" Body lift with a suspension left unless it was for liability reasons, a 3" body lift isn't the safest choice out there.[addsig]

I would go for the sup lift and keep the body lift small if at all from what I have heard and learned here at jeepz. The body lift just looks bad if the thing is of any real size and inch or one and a half is a plenty. Putting a bunch of stressbody mounts when you get them long bolts into play. Good Luck in the project what ever you pick. Tug[addsig]

I would go with a SOA converstion. Just did this in my Jeep for less than $100. You will of course need lots of time to custom make things and scrap steel lying around and the proper tools of course.

A couple benefits to SOA are;

-You keep the same springs so ride doesn't suffer.

-Flat springs articulate better than 'smiley' ones

-Other Jeepers will often ask how you lifted without new springs. (ps- if they ask, don't be offended, they must have just bought their Jeep and want some info from a fellow Jeeper..)

-The suspension will look like every other leaf spring suspension should, with the axle underneath the springs

-The weight of the vehicle rests on the axle itself, not the u-bolts

There are others but these are just my thoughts on the SOA-

P.S.-I got almost 6 inches of lift out of the SOA converstion[addsig]

or if ur not a fab man u could just buy an SOA for around 300$$ and it will come with sshocks / pitman arm / brake lines / spring perches .... only should take u about 6 hours to install an SOA and u get 5.5" of lift.... u also get great flex

good luck[addsig]

6 hours as long as your Jeep hasn't lived through a bunch of New York winters.....

New York Winter + Lots of Rust = More than 6 hours

It is well worth the effort though!!!!![addsig]

5.5 inches will be good as long as I can fit at least 33s under there... will I be able to? Could I go to 35s even? I would really like 33s AT LEAST. Anyway, I may do this project this coming saturday... my friends brother in law has a 2 bay garage equipped with a lift, a couple MIG welders, and every tool known to man! I figure this is my best chance to do it. My friend is also the best welder I know and a really good fab guy. I was wondering what exactly I need to do this though... I know I need some brake line extentions, but what else do I need to buy? Do I need a SYE? To tell you the truth I don't even know what that does exactly, lowers the angle of the drive shaft or something? Well thanks for the help guys, I really need your input to get ready for this weekend! ~Joop

Oh one more thing BIGBLACKJEEP... you said you got close to 6 inches, is that with the original springs? I plan on using the originals... thanks.[addsig]

im doing an SOA this month with the Rubicon Express Kit and i have a quick question about the springs. you say you get more than 5.5 inches if you get new springs, if so, how many more inches are we lookin at? and how much do new springs cost? like say i wanted 7 inches so 1.5" more than with stock springs, how much would that be? thanks~[addsig]

Hey Jeepmaster, what does a Rubicon express kit come with? how much does it cost? Can it be done on a YJ too?[addsig]

well you cant do a soa on a tj......hahaha
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

yea ive got a YJ and just go to www.rubiconexpress.com and select suspension systems then go to YJ on the left side (its a black background with several links) the links in the center of the page dont take you to the lifts. and once you go to YJ its at the bottom of the page, 5.5" SOA lift. you're gonna need a new driveshaft and SYE tho so figure in another 300-500. makin it about 700-900 total for 5.5". hope that helps[addsig]

Joopin-

Yup, all stock springs under there. We put in a little additional height when we made our spring perches. It wasn't quite 6, more like 5 3/4+" but its close. With the shackles its close about 7-7.5" total.

35's should fit nicely, there is room for 38's on my Jeep, just wouldn't be able flex very well. I am currently still running the 32's, but that will hopefully be changed shortly...
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Hey BIGBLACKJEEP, sorry to keep bothering you but I was wondering how you kept the price so low. Obviously you fabricated your own parts, but as for the SYE and the driveshaft... I assume you didn't use the SYE and kept the stock driveshaft? I will do the same if that works... for now that is. I can always do that later, I just want to get this thing to the sky fast! I only have access to a lift garage and welder THIS WEEKEND so I need to make this count. Is there any way you can give me a list of things I need to buy for the SOA? (brakelines etc.) Thanks again for the help, I appriciate it!

( www.jedi.com got me a little paraniod, they have a cost of almost 2K...)[addsig]

yea a list would be great, and i thought you had to add an SYE and new driveshaft with that kinda lift?? i wouldnt mind knockin another couple hundred off the total.[addsig]

joop ~ oh and you're gonna have to get new axles too. im told the stock ones will "snap like toothpicks" with 35's on them. i plan on strippin some dana 44's off an old cherokee (full size) i did a post on how to do that and got some good info (just look back a couple pages its called "dana 44's") any other axle suggestions would be appreciated tho? something more common perhaps? thanks[addsig]

Well I just put in all new bearings in the rear axle... 500 bucks worth of work to that friggin axle. I don't really think I'm going to upgrade axles anytime soon... Plus I probably won't be warpin on my jeep as much as most of you guys, being a new jeep owner I don't know where to go around here in Jersey! Allthough I did see that someone went to the pine barons this past weekend... I think that is north of me... [addsig]

Joopin-

i was able to use my stock driveshaft without using SYE- I should have the website done tonite, or done enough for you to get some info out of it

catch me online sometime- JLAudiofan3 and we can talk more...[addsig]

Do the SOA. Mines a TJ but i ran a 3 inch body and it sucked for wheelin.

flet tippy all the time. now i run a 6" rela w/ 1 in body. ITS awsome.

Ive got 37's and havent looked back. The extra inch of ground clearance

actually makes a difference, I have d44 (softlocker) d30(trutrac) 4.56s

nv4500 and an atlas 4.3 to spin them though. Im selling my nv3550 and

np231 w/ jb slip yoke if interested. You can contact me at 419-875-5105

or AFholmz@aol.com. I say go 37's. Bigger tires , bigger rocks right?[addsig]

Well I think I have to re think this whole SOA... I don't have the money right now to get new gears, so if I do the SOA I will have a friggin Sweet lookin jeep that goes nowhere or a jacked up YJ with stock wheels/tires... It would be a diffenent story if I could do the gears myself! Thanks for all the info though... [addsig]

Oh come on now Joopin- go with the SOA!!!!!
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png

BTW- what kind of off-roading do you do?? You could run 33's, it would be possible for the time being if money is tight-

I do like the 32's for one reason- they still fit all the way up into the wheel well- which gives me nice articulation-

Just some more thoughts on your decision- hope it helps, let us konw if you have any more questions-[addsig]

Back