TJ Computer Codes

L33TJ33P

I have a Friend that has a 97 TJ and I need to know how to get the computer codes from it. Here are the symptoms: When the Jeep gets hot (not over heats) but on long trips, every now and then it will just stop pulling. The accelerator stops working. Anyone ever ran into this? I am getting ready to head to pick them up and bring them home from exactly this problem. Any help on what this could be or How to get the codes would be appreciated.

P.S. I did a search in Computer Codes and TJ Codes and found nothing. I don't have time to flip back through the pages. :wink: thanks

L33

The obd II codes are to long to post. IM me at PASmokeater...either AIM oy Yahoo, or PM me with your AIM/Yahoo name, and I'll give you the codes.
Haynes states that you must use a scan tool to extract the codes if the Jeep is newer than a 97. The on, off,on,off,on, count flashes of the check engine light method works only on 91 through 97 Jeeps.

Rob 8) :p :)

You can pull the codes with any OBD-II scanner. Autozone will do this for free. Once you know the code(s), let us know what they are :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Try this:
  • Ignition off
    Push and hold odometer button
    Turn ignition to run (not start)
    Turn ignition back to off
Any stored trouble codes should appear in the odometer. Search google.com for TJ code or TJ trouble code and you will come up with many lists of the codes you need. Deciphering the wording and figuring out just what to do is another story all-together :lol:

well, next time I see him I will check his Codes. Either way here is what it does.

First: It ONLY does this once in a blue moon.

Second: After getting fully warm the Engine will start sputtering and have no acceleration. It will Idle fine, but even when in neutral, if you press the gas pedal, it will choke out.

Third: O2 Sensor was replaced a few months ago.

Forth: Coolant was flushed out a few weeks ago and has already turned black, was green.

Fifth: The longer you allow the Engin to cool down the longer it will run before starting the cycle again.

Remember this isn't my Jeep. This is a 97 TJ that belongs to a friend of mine.

Back