TJ Leaking Power Steering Fluid

mercab18

i have a 97 TJ...

i installed a 2.5" coil spacer lift with new shocks about 6 months ago without knowing that i had to extend the pitman arm... now my gear box is leaking power steering fluid

i was hoping someone could tell me about what exactly needs to be done to fix my problem, what it costs in parts, and what it would be to have someone do it. i'm pretty handy, but i'm no expert.

thanks everyone, i appreciate the help

First off there not rebuild-able, I am sorry, you could try something along the lines of Lucas Oil's power steering stop leak and see if that works. Before you look at replacing the power steering box. look for an after market type from Auto zone with a life time warranty.

check on upgradeing it to improve your turning. There are a couple companys that sell upgraded Steering boxes at almost the same price as a stock one.

A saginaw steering box is rebuildable, parts stores sell a kit, but it is a complex task. I'd buy new before rebuilding.

A drop pitman arm isn't generally needed for a 2.5" lift, and lack of one will not cause the box to leak.

A steering box from a '98 Durango is a good upgrade, I'm installing one soon.

Back