Transmission Fluid

daveplot

My YJ has started having transmission problems. After a lot of shifting from 1st to reverse trying to use the Jeep as a roller to pack down some dirt, I smelled clutch and couldn't get into gear w/out letting the transmission cool.

I checked the fluid today and it's full, but pink.

Should the fluid be pink? I always thought it should be red.

Is it foamy? It should be red not pink. Does it seem like there's any water mix w/ it?

I drained some into a cup, it isn't foamy.

Here's a pic of it...
image-missing.png

I looked at some of the 75W/90W Gear Oil that goes back in there, that I used on the rear differential... it's a brown like oil should be. Should I just go ahead and change the transmission fluid?

I went ahead and changed it, wouldn't hurt anything.

Here's the old fluid, it was really watery and not so oily for lack of better terms.

image-missing.png

That pic tells me you've been playing in deep stuff. Water in the transmission is not good. You should change all your fluids after doing water crossings or deep wet mudholes.

Be sure NOT to use GL5 transmission fluid in there... it will inevitably damage your transmission. Use GL3 or synthetic.

Make sure to flush the whole system. Disconnect the incoming line from the trans cooler and have someone hold the brake and put in gear and pump all that crap out. Probably take about a case of atf+3

auto or manual? sounds like a manual syncromesh is the nuts! and like TC said avoid the GL5 it is corrosive to the brass syncro's

It's a manual

Why avoid GL5? The factory service manual and haynes both say to use 75W-90GL-5 on the AX-15.

I just looked at what I used, 3 of the quarts are GL3/4/5 while the other that I only used a little of is only GL5

Last edited:
daveplot said:
It's a manual

Why avoid GL5? The factory service manual and haynes both say to use 75W-90GL-5 on the AX-15.

I just looked at what I used, 3 of the quarts are GL3/4/5 while the other that I only used a little of is only GL5

Both of those manuals are wrong, as is Chiltons. Trust us on this one.

Ask a Jeep mechanic at a dealer and he will supoort what we are telling you. Check any site with a YJ forum or ask someone in your local club.

Get that GL5 outta there ASAP. It'll kill your transmission without fail. Pennzoil Synchromesh, Redline MT90, or GL3 from a dealership. Like JPS said it corrodes the brass in the synchonizers and gradually the Jeep will become harder to shift, then noisy, then...

BTW, I mentioned water crossings because that's what water in the transmission fluid looks like... kinda like chocolate milk. I guess it was from the previous owner?

choc milk----looks like strawberry to me. Thought he had a auto.......

thats grerat info on the trany fluid (gear oil) did not know that one was following valvolines fluid spec book will make the change in my shop....

i would flush out your transmission .... use regular gear oil for a day or so.
then put in synthetic...

Back