VIN on old CJs

xjmarc

Found 2 old Willis CJs and don't know where to find the vin. One is a low hood and the other is a high hood so I know it's a B. Trying to figure out what year they are, might be getting the B cause it still has floors. The low hood has a tornado (has a plate on it) inline 6 and the B has a flat head 4. The low hood is missing the windshield frame too.

Found them now can someone tell me a little about them.
CJ2A 155431
CJ3B 57348 48152

xjmarc said:
Found them now can someone tell me a little about them.
CJ2A 155431
CJ3B 57348 48152

You've tried the Vin decoder on the home page right? Im sure you have. Im just checking.

I believe the CJ2A is a 1948....it would have been the 6972nd one built that year.Total production was either 71,129 or 74,122 depending on which book you believe.
Th CJ3B I believe to be a 1958....the prefix 57348 started in 1955. Serial #s 41592 thru 48247 were built in "58. Looks like it was built late in the model year.

Hope that helps!

The EarlyCJ5.com forum has all that info..
That must be a tight fit with the inline 6... Those should both be 4 bangers..

Quite a bit thanks. Can I ask where you got the info?
Had to cross check & fill in some blanks between 2 books...
Jeep by Jim Allen and The Standard Catalog of Jeep 1940-2003 by Patrick Foster

Did you get those vin #'s off the tub or the frame plate? The Tornado 6cyl was not a factory engine in either cj2 or cj3.

They came of the tub and I know the 6 wasn't factory, you can tell by looking at it. The B has this weird tube running from the heater core up the dash and along the windshield, looks like some kind of defrost. It looks factory but I've never seen anything like it. I'm guessing the transmissions are T90s and t-cases are Dana 18s due to the offset rear axles. Seats are shot in both and there is a good bit of rust, floor on pass side is gone in the 2A. Hoping to get both for a good price but not sure of my plans yet. May do some kind of rat rod type build but keep the flat head either 4 or 6 which ever I can get to run.

I haven't got enough posts to post a link.I can email it to you thou.It's in the Jeep Fan website

Look to see if the frame vin tag is still there on the left frame horn, just behind the bumper. You can verify if the tub is correct for the frame. Its not uncommon to have a transplanted tub on another frame, but it is nice to find out they match.

I believe the CJ2A is a 1948....it would have been the 6972nd one built that year.Total production was either 71,129 or 74,122 depending on which book you believe.
Th CJ3B I believe to be a 1958....the prefix 57348 started in 1955. Serial #s 41592 thru 48247 were built in "58. Looks like it was built late in the model year.

Hope that helps!

I also have a jeep I'm trying to find the vin to. I have found the serial # 23319. I also have a block # 806279 W-12 D AR. I believe the year is 1956 but not sure. can anyone help.

I have a 56 cj5 round fender. With serial number 52596....am I right with my numbers??? Or what??

Sent from my iPod touch using Jeepz

56cj5 said:
I have a 56 cj5 round fender. With serial number 52596....am I right with my numbers??? Or what??

Back