Water pump

1995wranglertlc

Alright fella's and lady fella's... I got a issue with my water pump.. its leaking.. is it something that is fairly easy to replace or is it a long hard mechanic special? I have never changed one before but am not inexperienced in working on my jeep.. let me know guys.. and God Bless!

it will be time consuming, but not hard; here is a tip from my experience, and this is assuming you have a 4.0L, pull the radiator, the 2.5L will probably not require you to do this since there is so much room in front of the block. but it will make life just that much easier, it is only 4 bolts and about an extra 5 minutes.

also a little gasket spray on the gaskets will go a long way to ensure proper sealing against the block,

Here's a great write-up courtesy of Stu Olson from his superb web site www.stu-offroad.com. It details the process as he assists his friend Scott replace the water pump on a '99 TJ. While I'm not sure if all steps will be exactly the same on your rig, the overall detail and information provided should still be a big help.

TJ Water Pump Replacement - 1

Happy wrenching and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

I changed mine on my TJ in the middle of winter..Took about 3 hours with some breaks to warm up the hands.If it is a 2.5L you will not need to remove the radiator,but you will have to remove the shroud.@ easy ways to do that.
1.Cut a notch in the bottom of the shroud so it will slip bast the fan.
1.Cut it in half drill some hole and Zip tie back together after reinstalling it.

And I'm no help, but be glad you don't have the 2.4L (as in my '03). Water pump is run by the timing belt!?!?!? Get's quite a bit more complicated. Oh, for the good old days!!!

Thanks mud4feet... Did not know that .... I have an 06!! Oh and by any chance have you had to replace your clutch ?? Just wondering what your pilot bearing looked like... I'm trying to put the 5 speed in mine and need some help!

Sent from my iPod touch using Jeepz

Back