What is the best Wrangler model to buy used?

$6000 isn't a bad price as anyone will agree I hope.. this jeep (see above) is basically new, 3 tops, hard, soft and bimini.. has full metal doors, 1/2 metal doors, and the soft doors.. new interior, am/fm cassette, full guages, 2.5L fuel injected, 5 speed, KC Hi LIters, custom back bumper with hidden lockable compartment, powered rear high mount speakers with overhead lighting.. and gets unbelievable gas mileage (better than that comment above about not getting over 19mpg.. this thing gets better than that!).. but, TOO much snow for me to deliver all the way to Massachusetts, so we'd have to meet somewhere in the middle or wait till the snow melts back there.. I've been watching it on TV.. wow

I'm in the TJ crowd...my 2000 cost me right at $5k, leaving some $$ for mods. It is problem-free, fun to drive, maneuverable in traffic, cake to park, and forget great mileage whether you get the 4 0r 6-cyl. The best part about either motor is that they are basically bullet-proof. Get ya one NOW and join the herd!!!!! 8)

TJ but no such thing as good gas mileage on a jeep:(

Welcome to Jeepz.com yesenia ! :welcome: Good taste in jeeps , the TJ is becoming a favorite of mine . I'm seeing more of them now than when I joined this forum. Keep it Rollin' and enjoy the forum ! Thank you for your membership and feel free to join in anytime ! Greg

I vote tj as well. If you get the yj (square headlights) avoid the 87-91 models. I hear the tcases are not the same as later year yjs are, and not very good.

I vote tj as well. If you get the yj (square headlights) avoid the 87-91 models. I hear the tcases are not the same as later year yjs are, and not very good.

they are the same except for part of the 87 year. my 87 has a 231 in it but some have 207 (or something like that)

people don't like the 87-90 models because they have carburetors instead of fuel injection and the 6 cylinder standard trans models have puegot transmissions. supposedly the transmissions don;t last that well but i read tons of stuff from people who have 200+ miles on theirs so its very possible its just internet junk.

Thanks J. I thought It was the 207 case as well but wasn't sure so I didn't want to say, and the puegot transmission.

Yes the np207 was used until midyear '87 when they phased in the np231. The Peugeot BA10/5 was used behind the 4.2L until the AX15 was introduced mid-year '89. The Peugeot isn't all bad like most will lead you to believe, but it is occasionally problematic. '91+ YJ introduced much-improved fuel injected engines.

Back