whats the best shocks for your ride?

Wcrsi1

hey Guys thinking of changeing my shocks out, I have sky jackers now, but like the resorvior shocks, do they really help? and what type ya recomend,:shades:

Some people say they do, I personally can't tell the difference with a daily driver. the #1 enemy of a shock is heat, the remote res shock 1. allows for additional fluid so more heat transfer 2. not being part of the shock body, able to disipate more heat just be the nature that it is seperate from the shock.

Unless you plan on some High speed wheeling where the shock is going to travel it's entire range a lot and quickly enough to generate enough heat to fatique the shock (desert race for example) then yes, I would get a remote res shock. for trail riding, daily driving, not worth the money. I prefer to use what ever is the cheapest option. I run cheapest either napa or autozone brand shock and I have no hesitation to do it again. Granted I could not just say, I need a shock for a YJ with 3" lift, because they don't have that info in there computer system, but I think I run 83 F250 shocks in the rear, I honeslty forget what is i nthe front, I will see if I can find a part number.

Here is a good analogy I just thought of...

remote res shocks on a daily driver is like carrying around a Magnum condom in your wallet.

Looks cool and allows for some bragging , but everyone knows you will never use or need it to it's full potential

Here is a good analogy I just thought of...

remote res shocks on a daily driver is like carrying around a Magnum condom in your wallet.

Looks cool and allows for some bragging , but everyone knows you will never use or need it to it's full potential

THAT IS SO FUNNY, thanks, point taken, thought they looked tough, though rancho has some cool looking ones, thought about adding

I run Bilsteins 5150 res shocks on my TJ. First the ride is worth the added expense. as for the need, well drive some of Arizona's roads and high speed valving is worth it.
Now with that last statement lets talk about why res style shocks work, multi-valving. most reservoir style shocks have variable valving allowing them to move fluid quickly with short movement and move fluid slower on longer stokes, thus slowing the axle as the bottom drops out when your off road.
Yes this is a basic explanation but ASE booklet on shocks is like 50 pages...

Speed bumps, pot holes, curbs and slow people in the parking lots are no problem for my jeep. And there performance off road was selling point for me.
Whoops and wash boards could be taken a little faster than my old mono style I bought from Tera-flex.

I am just waiting for these to go then I am going to step up to the new 5160's since they are rebuild-able and I can custom change the valving.

i tried rancho RS5000s (non res shock) and they didnt even last 40k miles as a daily driver! so whatever you go with stay away from rancho!!!

no hijacking intended, but i run rough country 6" lift with their 2.2 shocks and man is the ride rough. gonna switch to maybe teraflex 9550, what do you guys think? this is a daily driver, but i only have 300 mi on the rc 2.2 shocks so i don't want to spend alot of coin on another set of shocks.

Vicaven, I ran Teraflex shocks for many years and found no problems with them, they came with my lift kit many of years ago...02? They lasted for almost 6 years before I blew one out in Moab. I since have had three different sets of "other" brands till I went to Bilsteins, I kinda wish I stayed with Teraflexs...I would be a wee bit richer today.

I got NAPA house brand, they are really Monroe Sensa Tracs painted blue and cost half as much. Show your AAA card and get another 7% off. I did the same with the steering stabilizer too.

i've been told that since i haven't upgraded to my long arm yet that the rough ride is due to a combo of my short arm kit and the stiff valving on the 2.2 shocks. could that be the case? planning on upgrading to a long arm this summer if i can manage to find the correct specs on building it.

I run Bilsteins 5150 res shocks on my TJ. First the ride is worth the added expense. as for the need, well drive some of Arizona's roads and high speed valving is worth it.
Now with that last statement lets talk about why res style shocks work, multi-valving. most reservoir style shocks have variable valving allowing them to move fluid quickly with short movement and move fluid slower on longer stokes, thus slowing the axle as the bottom drops out when your off road.
Yes this is a basic explanation but ASE booklet on shocks is like 50 pages...

Speed bumps, pot holes, curbs and slow people in the parking lots are no problem for my jeep. And there performance off road was selling point for me.
Whoops and wash boards could be taken a little faster than my old mono style I bought from Tera-flex.

I am just waiting for these to go then I am going to step up to the new 5160's since they are rebuild-able and I can custom change the valving.

'Zactly my thoughts. Love the 5150's, wating to move up to the 5160's.

What is wrong with the Skyjackers? I have them and they seem fine.

I had skyjackers on my TJ years ago. Those things rotted out fast. Rust ate one of them and leaked. The jeep was stolen before I replaced them, whoever the clown is that stole it can deal with it now.

Back