What's the oil change trick????

patlisa514

Okay, whats the trick to keep the oil from covering the skid plate, when draining the crankcase? Am I to believe I am just a lousy shot and all the oil is supposed to make it through the hole in the skid plate. I know you veterans have an easy, inexpensive solution to preventing the unwanted lubrication of the top side of the skid plate. All right let me in on the trick please! thanks Patlisa514

I have never had that problem with the motor oil......you have to be talking about the transmission.....unless you are draining it when it is still hot

I've never had that problem. Do you have a larger, aftermarket skitplate?

I did change it hot and I did put it on a slight incline, also I am talking the engine oil, crankcase. So maybe the trick is level and let the engine sit till it cools a little, though I like to change oil semi hot so it drains more of the old oil out. Can anyone expand on the quick drain item that was previously mentioned . Thanks Pat

for sale/for trade: stock 5 spoke steel rims (set of 5)

my oil doesn't even come close to my skid plate

My driveway is pretty steap and I drain my oil on it all the time, never has hit my skid plate. You might have some aftermarket equipment on there, or a really screwed up skid plate.

The quick drain is a sytem made by Fram that uses a quick disconnect fitting that you install where the drain plug was located. The next time you change oil after that you snap the included hose on there and run it to your oil catch pan, then llosen the fitting and voila.

Hey, your not too far away from me, If you want I can take a trip over to your establishment and check it out for ya!

My driveway is pretty steap and I drain my oil on it all the time
you should always drain on level surface, or you're not draining all of the oil out

new battery w/ new lights?

I've been looking at the quick drain system, but I'm a little hesitant about getting one. I'm worried that it could either get clogged by sludge, mud, grit, etc., or open when I'm driving. Are they really dependable? I know they've been out only a short time, so there isn't much info on the reliability of them. What do you think, if you use them?

If it gets cloggd tehn take it off and clean it out. It shouldn't have any more tendancy to come loose than the current drain plug.

unlimited test drive

Snitty said:
My driveway is pretty steap and I drain my oil on it all the time
you should always drain on level surface, or you're not draining all of the oil out
I live on a hill, ain't got much of a chioice.

so long fellas...

There is a cap with a o -ring to seal it when you are not using it they work very well wal-mart 12 bucks, get one save yourself some time.

here's a trick I've done in the past. It's way messy and you don't get all the oil out. First you jack up your jeep like this
image-missing.png
Then you ram a screwdriver through your oil filter. Then turn the oil filter til the hole you just made is pointing down and let the oil run out. Then change the filter. Yank the boards out and fill it back up with oil. This way you don't forget to put the drain plug back in.

you do'nt have to change the filter... you can just turn it back up so the hole is not at the bottom

I see the experts are coming out of the woodwork on the last few replies, got a great laugh from bigTlilODD thats some funny stuff, especially the part about "ramming the screwdriver through the filter", think I will give a try, the wife has offered to operate the jack while I am under it.

i've had to use the screwdriver trick a lot to get several filters out... those garages will torque them to 250 lb-ft

Back