Winch

bigschrec

I've seen winches with the traditional steel wire and I've also seen them with a tow strap kinda thing. People have told me that the straps are stronger while others have said the wire is stronger. I'm not sure what to get and was wondering what you guys think. Thanks

I would get the rope. Ive had a couple bad experiences with cable, the last one was, we were pulling a bobcat out of a ditch and I didn't have anything to throw over the cable so I took off my shirt and used it, my friend looked at me like I was stupid and said "what is that for" and I said if that cable snaps it can save your life, and I swear it wasn't 30 seconds later the cable snaped and went flying, know one was hurt and the shirt didn't stop it but it helped. you could see the cable hit the shirt and wrap up.

When I buy my winch, it will have the synthetic rope. It weighs less and it just drops to the ground when it breaks as opposed to coiling back like wire rope does as 69jeepcj explained. From researching the subject, it does appear one needs to be really careful the synthetic rope does not rub on something and you should keep it covered to reduce degradation by sunlight.

I also learned that the traditional cable on winches is correctly referred to as "Wire Rope", so use caution when just saying rope.

Take my words with a grain of salt, as they are offered following a lot of reading and research, but not much in the way of field use experience (I've never had a winch wire rope break while watching it in person).

Okay thank you. I think I'll go for the synthetic rope then. I kept going back and forth on it not sure which was better. Thanks for the help

I would say it depends; advantages of the rope is that it does not store energy (well, not nearly enough to cause any damage, anyway), is lighter (this is good not only to carry it, but also less weight for the jeep to move around, so less fuel), will not be damaged by twists like cable will, you can use it without gloves (well, you are not supposed to, but there are no broken cables to get in your hands; you can still get a splinter or something, though), can be mended in the field, and (depending on rating) typically allows for more tension (meaning you can pull heavier objects before it will break). The downside is that rope is more prone to being damaged by abrasion, is much more expensive, can be damaged by UV light (AKA, Sun light), and needs more maintenance (not difficult, but you do need to soak it in water if it gets all muddied up). For me, regular cable is good enough; I cannot justify the difference in price considering how often I use the Jeep!

We rarely use the jeep winch with cable but very useful on our atv and cable just doing right especially when using very often. Synthetic one is interesting, especially for its lighter weight.

I'm all for synthetic primarily for the color. I love blue. Lol. JK. My number one reason for choosing the synthetic is safety. I also think it's easier to handle. Whatever you get make sure you get an adequate length and breaking strength.

From the Warn site...

"synthetic rope is a great product for many vehicle recovery situations. If you winch a lot and are concerned about weight, synthetic can be a great option since it is lightweight and easy to handle. It doesn't develop sharp burrs like steel rope, and doesn't store as much potential energy when under load. On the flip side, synthetic rope is more prone to abrasion, and should be regularly inspected for frays or other damage caused by UV, chemicals, and overall use. And when using synthetic, you always want to lay down the abrasion sleeve when needed to guard against rope damage.

Steel rope is extremely durable, and is good for both vehicle recovery and utility work, such as moving trees, rocks, etc., since it resists abrasion very well. Ultra-violet wear is also not a factor with steel rope, and it may be a better choice for you if you don't frequently use your winch. Steel rope is heavier than synthetic, can develop rust, and can also develop sharp burrs. This is one reason why we always recommend users always wear heavy gloves to protect their hands while handling the rope. "

Back