XJ for sale... should I buy it?

Jeeper84

A little worried now...

Hi, this has got to be the first time I've ever posted in the LWB forum. I'd like everybody's input on this one. I have this guy with an '86 XJ with the 2.8, auto, and 180,000 (estimate) on the Jeep. He says the Jeep's drivetrain is good, but the body needs a lot of work due to dings and rust. He says it hasn't been in an accident. What I'm wondering is... I know the XJ is a unibody.... Do you think it would last me at least this winter? The guy wants $450 for it, but I'm going to try to get him down if at all possible. Also... is there anything I should really look for? I don't know my XJs too well. Thanks a lot guys! -Mike :D

I'm sure this will help:

"1986 XJ

-Blue/rust
-2.8 V6
-Rebuilt carb
-New Cat
-New rear shocks
-AC/PS
-Auto trans
-Motor and drivetrain good, body needs major work, rust and dings.
-No accidents

*runs and drives* "

450.00 OBO

Thanks again! -Mike

Run away from the 2.8L V6, it's one of the big mistakes GM made. That engine sucks and probably won't last much longer.

There are better XJ's out there, get either the 2.5L or the 4.0L. Even the 2.5L I4 is better than the 2.8L and has lower axle gearing.

A friend of mine just picked up a '93 2dr XJ with 4.0L for $900. Oil pressure is low but he's going to put a newer 4.0L in. Nice jeep though for $900. Keep looking.

for under 5 bills, buy that crap and just destroy it, heck even for a parts car. wheres he live? if you dont get it i will

I'd be sure to look for a Cherokee with Fuel injection, probably at something Model year 1988 or newer.

-Nick :!:

Back