YJ 4 inch suspension lift

josue estrada

How difficult do you guys think it is to install a 4 inch suspension kit on a YJ? I bought a whole kit , but not sure if I should pay to have it installed or if it could be a project simple enough for myself and some buddies to tackle. Also how long do you guys think it would take to do something like this.

Its easy enough to handle in a weekend with some friends. Its just really just swapping parts. Just blast all the suspension bolts with PB plaster or the like for a few days before you tackle it.

The hardest part is dealing with seized bolts, most commonly the spring eye bolts and the shackle bolts. Be prepared to cut them off.

Take it easy removing the belly skid bolts, they snap easily in the frame. Back out slowly, if there's much resistance tighten and loosen again, repeating as many times as needed to heat the bolt up and get it out in one piece.

seems easy enough. I'll try it out one of these days. I've had the parts laying around for months and haven't gotten the courage to put them on nor the free time. Hopefully one of these weekends I get the courage before winter hits because I have some new tires I've been dying to put on for winter too. Will i have to get a trans drop or anything else once I get the lift? Right now I have shackles but I finally got the money to get a real job so I'm going with 4 inches and finally putting some sway bar links. I'm going to have to find stock shackles or smaller sized shackles too because I can't have the 4 inches plus these huge things on there.

I had a 4 inch lift and needed the trans drop. I tried hockey pucks but it didn't hel me from blowing up the u joints

I was told it was a weekend project and some know how. Im doing it soon, but my boss has the garage and tools to do it. Plus the neighbor is a mechanic. I shouldnt have to many worries. i hope.

It is pretty simple, as mentioned above siezed bolts will be the biggest issue. I usually do one end a day, do the front today and rear tomorrow. You will need a trans drop with 4" of lift, it is only a 1" spacer between your frame and trans skid plate, you can go get 1" square tubing from a hardware store cut it to lenght and drill the bolt holes to make your own.

Back