YJ Mix and Match -speedo gear

gippersdad

First, hello everyone! I am new to posting on the forum, but have been reading your conversations for a long time. It seems most questions I ever have, have been asked and answered here before. You guys just don't know what a great help you have been, since I bought my '89 YJ last year.

Today, I am looking to put in a new speedo gear, but as usual...I am lost as to what I have. My YJ was a total loss rebuild that I bought cheap. I have spent more restoring it than I paid for it...but that's another day's gripe. The problem I always have is...the guy who rebuilt it originally...used whatever parts he could get his hands on. So I have the hardest time figuring out what parts to order.

Truly, I researched the VIN number...and it came up with an automatic transmission. Well, I have a 5 speed manual. Who knows what year that happened in. So whether it is a Peugot, an AX15....or what...is beyond me, and I don't know how to tell.

I need to change the speedo gear because I am re-gearing it. the Dana 35 crapped out, and I just don't have the welding skills to put in an 8.8. So I opted to rebuild the 35, with 4.56 gearing. Of course, not having a clue what was on the Dada 30 up front...and having no plates to tell me...I just rebuilt them both to 4.56. I have found mixes opinions, but it seems you experts think this is a good gear ratio for my 31" tires, since I sometimes pull a 16 foot trailer. Who knows...but I am trying it.

So now I need a speedo gear to go with mt 4.56 Dana's, and my 31" tires. But wouldn't you know it...I need to know which transfer case I have in order to order it. Back to my usual problem: There is just no telling what transfer case the original builder put into this thing. My question is...how can I tell?

Stats are: 4.2L I-6 (I know this, because it is carburated), 5 speen manual transmission, 31" tires on stock rims, newly rebuilt 4.56 gearing in the Dana 30 front, and Dana 35 rear boxes.

Can anyone help?

Most likely a NP231 but you never know and they have 2 different types of speedo gears. Look at the back of the case and there should be a round tag that will tell you what case you have.

Most likely a NP231 but you never know and they have 2 different types of speedo gears. Look at the back of the case and there should be a round tag that will tell you what case you have.

Ok, thanks. I will do that when I get it back. Historically, though, every time I have gone looking for a stamp or a tag, it has been missing. Are there any distinguishing features I can look for, to identify it if there are no tags?

Back