Yoke Question ?

I have a 93 YJ with a 4 banger that has a 6" lift on it. I am being told by a mechanic that I need to put a slip yoke eliminator kit and a new driveshaft on it. Is this true or is he looking to take money ? The jeep runs find and has no problems.

Wow! 6" lift? , i would imagine that he probbably saw what's going to happen with your drivetrain.

The SYE does exactly what it says... eliminates the slip yoke. That is, the driveshaft will be fixed instead of slipping in and out during articulation. The CV driveshaft has a pair of U joints on the transfer case end rather than just one. That way it can handle a steep angle when a lift as large as yours is installed on the jeep.

I have heard of people getting away without this, but I have a 6" lift too (soa) and I can't imagine driving my jeep without the SYE or CV Driveshaft... especially on the trail... that driveshaft has probably come close to slipping right out of your T-case.

You probably do need it, but 1300 bucks is a lot. Buy them yourself, install yourself.... under $600

You can get a SYE for $180, used XJ or TJ front driveshaft for $50, and get it shortened/balanced for under $75. That's $305. Then don't forget the rear axle pinion needs pointed straight toward the transfer case yoke so that the pinion is inline with the driveshaft. This can be done with degree shims between the spring & the axle pad.

I agree completely, you NEED an SYE. You may not notice it on the street, (except for a shudder when you decelerate), but go get into some rocks and you're going to find yourself stuck and broken...bad broken. If you are unsure of your mechanical abillities, see if your mechanic will install parts you bring him. That way you can get the less expensive parts BH is talking about and still have it done professionally. Good luck and have fun.

Shane, where you located? I could install the SYE for you if you were close to St. Louis, I install a lot of them and rebuild a lot of transfer cases.

Back