Renegade 2019

Hello, I am new here so if I should be in a different room please let me know.

I have been a jeeper for what feels like a 100 yrs. Some I have had minor problems with but nothing like I am experiencing now. I have had all types from wranglers to liberty's to Cherokees so please don't discredit me cause I have a renegade now.

I currently have a 2019 renegade with 17,500 miles on it. Since January of this year it has been in the shop (at the dealership) 4x now. Intermittently when I turn left (most recently, this last time I turned right) I essentially lose my transmission. I no longer have power to it the continuation of my drive is a pop, and then I can go no faster than approx 35 mph without redlining. Once the jeep is powered off and restarted I have full function of the transmission again but still have a check engine light. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Jeepz.com mobile app

Last edited:

Did you read the codes?
I would verify tire size and air pressure is consistent between all tires. If you could hook it up to a computer I’d check the tire speed sensors.
Id have to look into it further but my gut feel is traction control is kicking in and out due to differing speed sensor inputs.

Check that your steering drag link is adjusted properly and the steering wheel is centered.

Do you have it in 4WD high?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. The codes have been verified and it keeps referring to an alteration in the transmission. The dealership (because it is under warranty) has found burnt bolts under my floor boards, under the console, and throughout the vehicle. There has been extensive work done on it already and no one can find the true cause of the problem. They have contacted Star and they are now replacing my transmission. However I don't feel that is the true problem given when the vehicle is restarted it runs normal. This is a safety issue. My dealership is telling me there have been some issues of this throughout the country. So I am trying to figure out what they did for whoever to solve this problem.

Thank you

I need the code numbers.
Without starting the car slowly turn the key on, off, on , off and on within 5 sec the codes will flash in the odometer.
Write them down snd post them up.

I don't have the vehicle. It is at the dealership and has been since the 4th incident happen. I stated in my first message they want to replace my transmission however I don't feel that is the issue. I am truly trying to see if anyone else has heard of or has this problem.

Thank you

There are several instances of transmission and 4wd or awd kicking in on renegades. Similarly on Cherokee with traction control kicking in on slight turns.
There are not many resolutions known on the renegade but the cherokee there are remedies.

Does this cause you to "lose your transmission" and not be able to shift? It revs to 6000 rpms and stays in first gear (yes automatic transmission). I don't know how to add the video. PXL_20210627_222241281.jpeg

If it is not shifting out of 1st and no traction control or AWD or 4x4 lights are on. It may be the transmission or its controller.

Im no expert on this issue.

Did you do the key dance to get the codes?

Back