Jeep Wave Standard Protocol

KrazyJeeper

Ok, I noticed something over the weekend. I have owned a TJ since 2000 and recently purchased a XJ to pull my boat. I have always waved at fellow Jeepers regardless of vehicle, but this weekend, I noticed that TJ, and CJ's did return the wave while I was in the XJ. Should I place a sign at the top of my windshield that states I am a TJ owner also. LOL Or is the wave vehicle specific? Just food for thought. Take Care, KJ

I've notced that too. I wave in my XJ at jeepers and get nothing back..when I had my TJ they waved back.

Seems like mainly a wrangler thing. feh

The real jeepers wave back, and they're the ones that count.

I had the same results. No love for the Cherokee.

Lift your XJ. As soon as I did the drivers of lifted short wheel base Jeeps waved. I guess it makes it blatently obvious that you are a "Jeeper". Many of the stockers still don't though.

i agree with twisted, i dont bother waving at the XJ's unless they wave at me..... there's just too many mall cruisers and soccer mom's drivng those things

I have owned 6 jeeps.........
2 YJ's received love
2 XJ's no love
2 ZJ's no love

I am convinced the wave is only for CJ/YJ/TJ and should remain................

I too have an XJ but gets no love from fellow Jeepers. Know what? I don't care, i'll just keep waving to my peeps even without a wave back.

I have an XJ and a CJ. I get plenty of waves in the CJ, none in the XJ. I don't bother doing the wave in the XJ.

i also have a CJ and an XJ. people just love the cj, but until i lifted the xj, nobody even noticed....unless it was covered in pure mud. even so, a lot of people still don't wave back.

I can't get it any higher without doing some serious mods and money. LOL

Attachments

• 1stXmasTexas 031 (Medium).jpg
    1stXmasTexas 031 (Medium).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 596
When I went from my M38 to my CJ in the 70's everyone waved. Now in my ZJ, no love. I guess there are just too many ZJ's.
Mike

KrazyJeeper said:
I can't get it any higher without doing some serious mods and money. LOL

I'm surprised the SWB guys don't wave to that XJ. How 'bout the other modded XJ's... ?

Yeah, some mud on the Cherokee makes those hands raise.

Funny thing but I have been noticing is that most Utahans have been getting rude...I wave all the time (not to plain XJ's or ZJ's). But Haven't been getting waved back too. Whats up with everyone?

I get very little love when driving my YJ, must be the headlights...? I think most of the people where I live that by the newer jeeps are all uppity up mall crawlers who dont know the first thing about owning a Jeep. However I still wave at all jeeps even when i am in my Xterra. If they dont wave back i simply retract four of my five fingers and give them a big single finger salute.....it pains me to see a nice jeep misused like that.

Utah_jeepster said:
Funny thing but I have been noticing is that most Utahans have been getting rude...I wave all the time (not to plain XJ's or ZJ's). But Haven't been getting waved back too. Whats up with everyone?

I think it is a direct result of catering to the yuppies and soccer moms by putting car springs on Jeeps.

I stopped most of the Jeep waves when the Jeep hierarchy became way too annoying.

Stocker TJ, no love. TJ + 31's = small love, TJ + 31's + 3" lift = medium love, Piece of crap '82 CJ + 33's + no lift = lotsa love (and lots of tire rub on speed bumps). Now I only wave at stockers and those derranged zuki guys while I'm on pavement. Off road I'll either wave or give the stink eye depending on what kinda day I'm having ;-) I had a friend who had a wagoneer, I still won't wave to him and he sold it a decade ago...

Last edited:
TC, trust me, the XJ has not been as clean as it is in the photo since, I believe that was the day I returned with the new tires on. As for all of the discussion as to who I should wave to or not. To me, the Jeep Wave is a tradition, if we don't publicize it, then it will fall by the wayside, like many other American Traditions. Pick who you want to wave at, but remember, not everyone here was a die hard off-roader before or even after they purchased their 1st Jeep. That's what it's about. XJ, CJ, YJ, TJ, Willys, etc, they are Jeeps. To continue the heritage of the Jeep, and the Jeep Wave, people must promote it. I have nothing against Yuppies, or anyone else who owns a Jeep and doesn't go offroad. That just means to me, they havent' met the right person who is willing to show them the way of the Jeep. Sorry for the SoapBox speach. Jeeps Rule, and that's all I've got to say about that!. Take Care, KJ

Oooh, well said, and I do agree... Unless you buy shiny new at the dealership, and drop some major coin, you don't get a little booklet, or DVD telling you about Jeep life, and everything that comes with it. When I had my Reliant, I didn't wave at other Reliant owners, after all...

Jeez, I'm trying to remember how I even got into it... Hmm... Aaaah yes :twisted: I was heading back from up at my property, had had the Jeep for maybe a year by then, and still bone stock. I'd been mudding around up there, it got me back to the property just fine, so I was testing the limits of what else it could do. Not the first time I'd been out wheeling with it, but the most intense experience I had had by that point... It was COVERED, roof to rims, with the most earthy and pleasant smelling mud you've ever smelt. Back was full of camping supplies. I'm heading home on the I-75, puttering along in the right lane doing about 80 :redface:, and this moron in a shiny shiny H2 starts riding my ass like there's no tomorrow. Can't get over, because we're in a 1 lane only construction zone on a 2 lane freeway. As much as I would like to delude myself into thinking that he was flashing his lights and shaking his fist in a friendly, you and your Jeep rock manner, it was obvious he wanted to go faster.

The left lane became open, but before he could even think about getting over, the filthy muddy lifted monster TJ that I hadn't noticed blasted into the lane, matched speeds with me, and waved. I waved back. We continued on at same speed grinning to each other for about, oh, 50 miles or so, this guy was weaving back and forth behind us like mad :twisted:

So, Jeep wave. Ok, I can dig it... Usually, when I notice a Jeep, I spring up in my seat, say "Jeep!", and wave. If I'm in the city, and see a stocker looking WJ or something like that, I nod, if they wave, I wave enthusiastically. For the most part, on the freeway, or if it's not too congested, I wave to anything remotely Jeep. Rules change in Detroit, then, it's usually a nod, still noticeable, but waving at people in Detroit is sometimes not the wisest thing to do.

Not to insult the non-SWB owners here, but for the most part, when people think "Jeep", they think Wrangler/SWB style. For the most part, a Cherokee, Waggy, Liberty, or other non-SWB vehicle bearing the Jeep emblem is not considered a "Jeep", in the truest sense of the word. A Jeep is a SWB Wrangler style that was born into the world as the original Army vehicle, and for most people, that image will always remain in their head when the think "Jeep".

I don't wave to anything but "real" Jeeps, regardless of whether they are modded or being driven by a Starbucks latte swilling yuppy punk. I don't wave to any non-SWB models, because the few times I did, I did not get a return wave. I get about a 75-80% return from the SWB "real" Jeeps around here, and have enjoyed that return since my Jeep was bone stock to it's present mildly modded condition.

Last edited:
Back