Grand Cherokee Brakes

judge09

I have a 99 Grand Cherokee Limited. It only has about 30k miles on her. But the brakes make a god awful almost rinding sounds when I slowly take my foot off the brake in Drive or Reverse. The dealership I bought it from said nothing was wrong but I know that sound is nothing good. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do. [addsig]

Also has anyone noticed play in the steering. The car will drift if there is a pitch in the road.[addsig]

if its grinding you may have a piece of gravel or dirt in there, id take it apart and check it out[addsig]

Also remember that some vehicles come with semi metallic brake pads which actually have pieces of metal in the composite that can make a "grinding". The harshness of the sound varies from vehicle to vehicle. So, if you have been to the dealer, and you have pulled the wheels off and inspected the rotors and pads like jpmaster recommended, and you feel comfortable that the pads are OK, then relax, and next time you replace them, don't get the semi metallic. [addsig]

OK well everything looked ok when I did a little inspections a couple months ago. New problem...grinding is still there a little less noticable now. But when I go to brake the whole jeep pulsates. What the heck is going on?[addsig]

pulsating usually is a symptom of warped rotors... or possibly a screw-up in your ABS system... you can have your ABS computer scanned for codes if that's the case.[addsig]

damn I only have 30k miles on her. Is this typical of Grand Cherokees. I know Ihave heard some stories about bad brakes.[addsig]

If the pulsating is really rapid, like a machine gun, its sounds like the ABS. If it is relative to the speed your going when you brake ( slows as the truck slows ), then its the rotors. I would pull the wheels off again and visually check the pads both inside and outside, take them out and look at them. [addsig]

here we are with the good old underpowered brakes to the overweight car (don't be offended i'm in the same boat)... but all i can say is, drive smart! don't stay on your brakes for more than you need to... those long hills with the 45mph speed limit, just downshift your transmission and let the engine keep it at speed instead of staying on the brakes for 5 minutes while they turn red, then white... and warp. :-O [addsig]

Well things were getting really bad and I do still has some of a warrenty left so I ventured back to the EVIL dealership....Here are the problems

1. grinding sound actually wasnt the brakes, it was the rear drive shaft. Luckily it was covered in a TSB and I dont have to pay for it.

2. The front rotors are warped and that is due weak calipers...which were replaced free along with the brake pads under a TSB. But the rotors are on me. And its going to cost me $200.

What chaffs my chicken is that the weak calipers messed up my rotors. shouldnt those be covered too???[addsig]

What chaffs my chicken

lol never heard that before, but yea you'd think that if something thats DEFFECTIVE breaks something else they should replace that free too.[addsig]

Yeah one would think that but that would also make sense and dealerships are never about servicing you vehicle correctly ...making sense.[addsig]

Yeah my dealership covered all the TSB items[addsig]

Back