Grand Cherokee Manual Conversion

keriandyb

I have a 97 Grand Cherokee I bought new and is in need of a new transmission. Has anyone here attempted a conversion to manual? A 5-spd was available in 93 & 94 with the same engine and transfer case so would the Warner AX15 5-spd bolt right into my 97? I am going to modify this vehicle extensively and prefer the "fixability of a manual" and the off-road advantages as well. Any suggestions?[addsig]

Hanging a clutch pedal, changing bellhousings, running linkage for the clutch, changing the console and shifter, and any change in driveshaft lengths is not worth the conversion. Plus, ( get ready for a heated discussion ) I think an automatic is far superior for offroading as long as you can keep it cool. [addsig]

The AX15 is Aisin, not Warner. It may bolt in, but chances are the transfer case input may need to be changed to match the transmission. Input shafts are usually different lengths between stick and auto.[addsig]

I´ve changed an auto to a stick, but not in a Jeep. More complicated than you´d think.

I´m thinking of changing my YJ to an automatic. I´ve got better things to do than shift, when I´m driving in the loose stuff.

I know for sure, the computer for the auto, is different from the stick. This is rumour. I´ve heard the computers are bar coded to you´re specific vehicle. What I´m saying is even if you can switch the stick computer into your vehicle, it my not work correctly.

I kinda agree with everybody else, more trouble than it´s worth. And like Remeber5 said, many times an automatic is superior. Most HD trailer towing packages require an automatic for a reason.

Before everybody starts screaming, I´ve got a TH350 auto/manual shift, one ton truck transmission that works well at really low RPM´s, it compression brakes really close to a stick and seems to be just about indestructable. I sure would like to find the same transmission, that would match up to my 4.0 and the 231 transfer.

What happened to you´re automatic?

[addsig]

My auto, like every other chrysler auto, has given up at 97,000 miles. I figured I could do the manual conversion, save money and never have to worry about the crappy chrysler automatic breaking again. Also I prefer a manual. I think a lot of drivers do. The merits of driving off-road are not worth debating. Each transmission has pros and cons. But I prefer the manual. Especially when you figure in the longevity.[addsig]

I´m not gonna try to change anybodies mind, I just prefer an automatic, when I can find one that´s reliable. Leftover from the days, of superchargers and big horses I guess.

Most everybody I´ve talked to (myself included) has had problems with the AX 15 (or the 5) after a hundred thousand miles or so. Most people doing serious mod.s, upgrade to something sturdier.

I was trying to look up what the 97 has (no sucess yet), is it still the 999. Had a hundred and forty thousand on my last 999 and the clutches were just beginning to slip.

I have a little trouble reading the fine print at advanceadapters.com but I seem to remeber the auto and the stick having a different spline count. You might have to take the transfer also.[addsig]

Back