Help me choose a Cherokee

lburgguy

I am looking to purchase a Jeep Cherokee as I think it has the best "bang-for-the-buck" in the 4WD SUV market.

There are so many model years and models I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. There are a number of different engine/transmission options, I just need nudges in the right direction.

I am primarily looking for part-time 4wd, 5 spd. manual, airbags and the such, with the most fuel efficient engine possible and I will give up the hp for that. I don't need the newest nicest model, just a good base choice and like I said, just to be helped along in my purchasing decision would be great.

Thanks!

Welcome to the Z. What are you going to do with this jeep, daily driver, trail rider, or some combination?

Airbags began in '96 I believe, so I'd look at '96-'99 with the 4.0L engine. The tow package has a factory rear receiver, transmission cooler, and heavier 8.25 rear axle. There was also an Up Country package available that sat about one inch higher than a stock XJ.

Daily driver basically, with an added capability of going offroad if the need arises. I would definitely be doing some lighter towing on the weekends with it too. I guess fuel economy is my number one concern and that's why I was looking at the 4. I read that there were a couple of different gear boxes too, any thoughts about that? I just want to avoid any known pitfalls, like someone saying "Stay away from the '98 with the 5 spd....". Just trying to be smart on my end. Thanks for any help.

So far I've read to stay away from the 2.8L engine and the Peugeot gearbox. So how do I know if the XJ I'm looking at has the Peugeot gearbox??

If you take a look at it , it would look like this one.

Attachments

• BA -10 Peugot.bmp
    223.8 KB · Views: 238
I've had a couple and I prefer the 97+ just for the slightly larger interior space and the dash is much more user friendly and IMO looks better. If you plan on towing anything other than an empty trailer get a 4.0L. When my 97 was stock it got 18+ mpg, still gets 15-16 with 35s and lower gearing.

I've had a 95 Grand with a 4.0 in it and sold it with 275,000.I now have an 04 Grand with the 4.0,it's a great motor.

I was able to get 2 more miles/gal by switching from regular oil to Mobil 1 full synthetic.I'd look for a 4.0 6cyl.You should get about 18 miles/gal

Thank you all for your input as I am learning a lot about the Cherokee. I still think it can't be beat for what I'm looking for, except maybe fuel mileage but you can't have it all. Looks like the 6 is a killer engine but I'm going to opt for the 4 just to save gas as I don't envision towing too much.

you wont save as much gas with the 4 cyl to justify it over the I-6. too much weight for that 4 banger to haul around.

Could someone elaborate on that last post? I am assuming the 4 cylinder would offer better mileage over the 6. Also, wow is it ever hard to find manuals anymore!!!

It's a weight ratio thing, basically the 4 cylinder will strain under the weight of the jeep, lets look at a steep hill, a small car with a 4 cylinder will make it no problem with the weight of a jeep it will strain to drive up it so more gas will be used. On a flat road you will use about 1/2gl of gas or so more under the weight of a jeep compared to a 6 cylinder. There are some was to increase gas mileage on a 6, like high air flow air filter, throttle body spacer, synthetic oil like Royal Purple and so forth. Having 6 is better than a 4 in a jeep.

I'm kind of new to the world of Jeeps but I drive an 88' XJ with the 4.0, gets great gas mileage, my aunt has a 2000 XJ, she can drive from Jacksonville to my town, a little over 200 miles for less than a half a tank, pretty good for a straight 6.

I found this on another site, perhaps too much info is just as bad as not enough, but can someone help me decipher the meaning of this:

"Look for a 97-99: you get all the mechanical benefits of the non-DIS inline 6 and the cosmetic benefits of the styling refresh.

ALSO: if you MUST buy a DIS 2000-2001 model; DO NOT NOT NOT NOT buy a 2000 - they are prone to cracked heads."

That's the statement - I guess I'm wondering what the author means by "DIS" and of course whether or not there is any merit to it. Thanks.

Mid year 99 they went to coil packs (distributorless ignition), haven't heard that about the head problems.

Back