security module

JimUllrich

All,
I have a 93 Grand Cherokee that we use on the farm for feeding calves, fixing fence, etc. It was parked for the winter and the battery went dead. Now the security system is preventing it from running and the standard methods of disarming it (holding the key over, etc.) aren't working (we only have a valet key). One door and the rear latch don't work, so the problem may be there. How can I get around this problem? Can I jump some of the wires in the security module plug? For farm use, I'm tempted to put on a carburetor and rip all the wires out, but that's a pain. It was running great in the fall.
Thanks for the help.

It sounds like the Jeep was in valet mode, and once the battery died it has gone back to normal mode.

I don't have a Grand Cherokee myself, but was able to find a possible fix on the net:

To put it back in valet mode:

Put the key in the ignition, and turn forward all the way just before cranking. Then within 5 seconds, press and hold in the valet/overide
button, found under the dash area, until the installed LED (the blinking light) in your dash area goes off, and the siren chirps twice.
(Your valet switch might be the toggle (on/off) type. in this case, key on, flip switch in oposite direction, key off.)

This should reset the alarm.

Just Repeat these steps to place it back to valet mode.

I read that the rear hatch and the driver's door won't unlock correctly when the alarm is not working. Try unlocking both with you key and see if that resets the alarm.

To eliminate the alarm system entirely have a dealership with a DRBIII scan tool go into your security settings and disable the VTSS (vehicle theft security system).

Back