steering geometry

XjShake

I know they say you want the track bar and the tie rod parallel but I don't really know which is which... yes I'm new to steering linkages and stuff so I don't know... anyways does this look ok or did I to to far with the drop pitman arm...

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110311_094759.png
    ForumRunner_20110311_094759.png
    312.3 KB · Views: 805

Its a 90 YJ. It looks like the tie rod is the one that's off. Isn't that the only one that could be off? Since the track arm isn't adjustable, that what im assuming. But then again, I am an idiot. And anythings possible.

Ya it's the only one adjustable. This isn't super critical with leaf springs but if your having steering issues you need a drop pitman arm to get it right.

Thanx guys.. I haven't got to test it yet... I blew a transmission line when I went to test it... the pitman arm

Now when you say steering issues, what type are you talking about? Because the issues im having are mainly on the freeway, or anything above 50 mph. It just tends to wander a bit, or when a semi comes by, it can get a little squirrelly. I thought replacing all of the bushings, and making sure everything was torqued to specs would do the trick. It helped a little, but not very much. There is a few inches of play on either side of the steering wheel, before it goes into the knuckle. Does this mean I need to replace the knuckle, or is there some way of adjusting it?

No. Its before it goes into the steering knuckle. The bar going into it turns almost 45* before anything happens coming out the other end. I have no idea if this is normal or not. Its manual steering by the way. If that helps with the diagnosis.

Sounds like you need to adjust the bolt on the top of the steering box. Tighten it 1 full turn then 1/4 turns driving it around the block after each adjustment. Do this until the steering wheel seems labored when straightening after a corner stop and back it off 1/4. If this still doesn't help replace the gearbox.

The top bolt on the gear should only be adjusted after the worm gear preload is set. Problems will occur if it's extremely worn and only the sector shaft is adjusted

Yeah...the gearbox. Sorry. So should I just replace it rather than adjusting the top bolt? Or if its worn out anyway, I guess I might as well try it out, and if I have to replace it, then im no worse off than I was in the first place right?

It never hurts to adjust it. My Cherokee has 325,000 miles on it and it adjusted out fine.

Okay then so what's this worm gear reload thing you're talking about? Is that something I could do? Would it be in a haynes or Chilton?

It's the bearing where the steering column goes into box. There is a cover you twist off with a hammer and chisel then you will see the adjuster nut underneath. You just have to take up slack kinda like a wheel bearing tighten it up then back off 1/8 to 1/4 turn. Then install tge lock nut. Then you adjust the sector shaft by cracking the nut free and turn the center down till it gets a little snug then back it up 1/4 turn.

Back