Outstanding safey issue

michaelc291

In my quest to get information about my 1994 XJ 4.0, Jeep themselves have offered the following information. What follows is a cut and paste from their email.

723 Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk:

THE FRAME MAY CRACK AND CAUSE THE STEERING GEAR TO SEPARATE FROM THE FRAME. THIS MAY CAUSE A LOSS OF STEERING CONTROL.
Repair Description: DEALER WILL ADD A WELD TO THE FRAME AND REPLACE THE STEERING GEAR BOLTS.

You can learn more about recalls on www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html. Just put it your complete VIN.

They added that this fix is still available.

This is all I have and I'm not even certain which models it may refer to or if it's for RHD or LHD cars. Perhaps someone can add this information. I have no dealers near here to go and ask.

I recommend that you take a close look around the steering box bolts if you don't know if your car has been fixed.

If you?re uncertain or worried, add a steering bracket brace. They?re different for each model, but what it does is illuminates the frame racking that occurs when you have larger than standard tires on your vehicle.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back