What tires are people using?

timbekk

Im looking at getting some new shoes for the xj! Right now im running 31x10.5x15 mesa ap tires... Needless to say im not impressed with there off road capabilities. Just kinda looking for what people have to say about what's out there.... might go with bf goodrich mud terrains like I have on my yj but would like to try something new. Anyones input is always useful ..

i want to get a set of the falken high country a/t's when i get the money. I have heard toyo's are good but the smallest they come is a 17. If you are near a big-o, they make a pretty decent a/t and i think they make an m/t but they might run you a pretty penny.

BFG mud terrain tires are a good choice. I still have a set in my garage. Now i'm using a set of Pittbull Krawlers 35x 14.5- 15s. I've been running on these tires for several years now and have been very happy with it. Of course, the usual loud roar down the highway off the tires are louder than the BFG's.

Ill prolly end up going with the bfg mt's there a decent price and have worked well for me over the years.

I like my bfg m/t for all around use. Good on and off road. I will never buy them again as they only last about 25k miles which is utter crap. I'm tired of replacing them every 8 - 14 months.

I run TSL Bias but mine never sees any pavement. I ran Mickey Thompson MTZs before that and they worked well and when I sold them had well over 1/2" of tread and about 30k on them.

I have the Dunlop Mud Rovers. They are cheaper than the BFG MT.

anyone know anything about the definity dakota m/t tiures from pep boys? I was looking around the store last night and i haven't found many reviews on them. I read they only cost $99 each for 31's but i could be wrong. anyone?

Im running bfg mt km2s and i love em. I can tell they wont last too long tho. But they have great grip and provide a decent on road ride. Ill probably go a different way when these are toast, but for now i swear by em.

My second post, therefore this site won't allow me to post any url's. Hmmm... Anyway, like a lab animal in a maze searching for the cheese.., my research has culminated in obtaining Hankooktireusa dot com's mud tire, the Dynapro MT, which is available in all sorts of sizes, i.e; 15-22 inch wheels, and between 28-40 inch tire diameters. Their site sucks on dial-up, (where I'm at), so you could look 'em up via google for other sites, i.e., retail outlets, (tirerack does not have 'em). Sears is one. In short.., these tires have won first place in a mudder's test track course contest run by a major 4X4 magazine, (up, down, and all around a hill), and other mags. say they are excellent, if that means anything to you. They out-performed everything mentioned so far.., but then, they are after-all, specifically designed for mud; not ice, not snow, although they seem to work well in off-road bumper deep snow-scapes of two to three feet of un-tracked snow. They are pinned for studs for winter road use. Can be aired down, with bead-locks, to 15psi for sand etc., without digging down too deep as to being buried down. Perhaps not as radical as swamper/boggers, but for dual-duty; street, (fairly quiet), and muddy trails off road, they are considered number uno! I was going for Kevlars for potholes, debris in trails, etc., but the Hankooks outperformed them too. Not designed for full-time rock crawling as the side wall protection is not bullet proof!!!! Some say they are just above middle-of-the-pack mud tires, but the real world tests say different. There are many reviews to check into. BTW: Prices are going up, due to the destruction of the American Way, and dollar. Get'em, (or anything for that matter), while you can at the lower prices. My next purchase will be these unless something else comes along. LOL, I accept donations! Our dear leader sez to spread the wealth.., so send me money so I can order them!

Had a buddy that ran those and the sidewalls don't like rocks at all. He ripped holes in 2 before he got rid of them and they only had about 10k on them. Plus I like to spend my money on American products when I can and tires are one of those things. Hankooks are a Korean tire so they don't qualify.

Had a buddy that ran those and the sidewalls don't like rocks at all. He ripped holes in 2 before he got rid of them and they only had about 10k on them. Plus I like to spend my money on American products when I can and tires are one of those things. Hankooks are a Korean tire so they don't qualify.

Man, I really dig that.., American over all else. (seems like you'd have to have the life-style of a Quaker if all your products were to be made in America anymore). I agree with you about rocks, as I had so stated. BUT, where I live it's all about mud.., and for mostly a stock XJ, they are 1) available, and 2) are rated as being best for mud, mud, mud. The Kevlar tires, (smallest being 31"), are too big for us stockers.., which besides mud, would make me feel more confident around rocks, etc., and therefore would be my first choice.., if'in I could get them in a more or less stocker size, but them stupid Americans won't make 'em small enough for us stockers, 27"-28"-29"-30", nyet, nyet, nyet, nyet.., ...as the Capitalist Motto goes: "Find a need and fill it", does not seem to be on their minds in order to make their wallets fatter.., i.e., shooting themselves in the foot! Find the logic in that.., and then go shopping, lol!!!!!!! I really detest going SYE/propeller shaft upgrades, and fender trims, etc., i.e., another thousand bucks plus just to wear Kevlars, etc., when all I need is the ability to get out of the freak'in mud. (...ah...where are my XJ repair parts made anyways?).

I've rarely ever ran American tires down to the cords, i.e., mostly ripped, punctured, sliced, and diced them, (been a buyer since 1964), and have found, for example, Blizzacks as the best non-studded winter tire out there, (non-American), and those around up here in Alaska find that they are like real safe, i.e., saves lives braking for the moose, and non-attentive idiots drunk on their cell phones, lol, etc. (One thing about the Koreans.., well two things.., by and large they are our allies, and are Christians mostly, and I'd rather buy from them, than from those Godless communist chinese--or from those American capitalists who have outsourced their products to be made there, i.e., throwing American Workers under the bus).

Under what condition did your 'buddy' trash the Hankooks? More details would be useful, if you would share them. Was he ram-rodding through sharp rocks, or being sanefully technical traversing such obstacles? It would be good to know what pressures he was running at the time too, i.e., was he running low p.s.i. and causing rim damage? What were the ambient air temps?

...and not to forget to mention: The discussion really is about mud tires, (I thought), not rock tires.
Happy Trails 'ya all.
P.s. Kevlars in my future, lol.$$$$

He was running 33s on an 8 inch rim with roughly 15psi, way more than I'd ever run but he gets a bit scared. We were trail running that day so no serious rocks but a few thrown in for good measure. I live in the south so you can't avoid mud and we have lots of hill climbs, look up Aetna Mountain on youtube it's 30 minutes from my house. BTW not all of Korea is our friend just the South. No I can't buy all American but I try to when I can.

Here in SoCal BFG T/A K.O. is the way to roll, but i see snow in your pic. so i guess mt is better in snow. But the a/t is m+s and mountian snow flake rated. I currently own 16 bfg ta ko'''s. all in service

I have Cooper mastercraft mt 33 1250 15 got like 3000 on them so for there good on and off road here's a pic and there made USA

Attachments

• image-4124070655.png
    image-4124070655.png
    857.5 KB · Views: 483
Back