85 Grand Wagoneer loses power while driving

Florence725

Our 85 Grand Wagoneer is losing power while driving. It completely shuts down, no power for emergency flashers, not even a click from the starter. The first time, AAA could not jump it, nor could the dealer service department find the problem; it started just fine for them the next day. Last night it happened again, however after it had been sitting 20 to 30 minutes, it gave a little whine, so I tried it and it started right up and made it home with no problem. If anyone can offer any insight on this problem, I thank you for your help. -K

Our 85 Grand Wagoneer is losing power while driving. It completely shuts down, no power for emergency flashers, not even a click from the starter. The first time, AAA could not jump it, nor could the dealer service department find the problem; it started just fine for them the next day. Last night it happened again, however after it had been sitting 20 to 30 minutes, it gave a little whine, so I tried it and it started right up and made it home with no problem. If anyone can offer any insight on this problem, I thank you for your help. -K
How did they start it the next day?

Gave a little whine? Like the fuel pump pressurizing (is the '85 in tank?)?

Sounds like something is overheating...the battery dying won't recharge itself after 20-30 minutes of just sitting there, and the alternator doesn't self-heal either (at start, the alternator doesn't matter, anyway).

Last edited:

There's a ground wire at the motor mount that grounds your engine to the frame,check that..

Also check the power and ground from the ignition switch. If there's a poor contact there, it will get hot and have an open circuit till it cools down.

Thanks to everyone who offered ideas about the '85 Grand Wagoneer. Personally, I think it is getting revenge on me because I left it for a week while on vacation.

Thanks to everyone who offered ideas about the '85 Grand Wagoneer. Personally, I think it is getting revenge on me because I left it for a week while on vacation.
What do you mean by it giving a little whine?

When the shop tried to jump it, what wouldn't it do? Would it not turn over at all or would it just not start?

What do you mean by it giving a little whine?

When the shop tried to jump it, what wouldn't it do? Would it not turn over at all or would it just not start?

Pete, the first time the '85 lost power, my husband had parked it at a store and it would not restart, nor was AAA able to jump-start it. After it had been towed to its favorite service place, it started ok on its own. Service kept it overnight and it started fine the next day on its own. (I was out of town so don't know exact details.) The second time, I was driving it and it lost power just as I was pulling forward from a stop sign. Two nice neighbors pushed it to the side of the road. There was absolutely no power for flashers or any sound from the ignition. While waiting for AAA, after about 30 minutes I heard a sound that lasted a few seconds, like a whine or an electrical humming sound, after which it started. We do have a supplemental pump that was installed many years ago to prevent vapor lock, may be a problem with that. We were also having very high temperatures at the time, if that suggests anything. Thanks for your interest.

Last edited:
our cj7 did something similar. driving down the road, it would stutter then stall suddenly. after about 15 minutes it would start again. problem ended up being a poor connection on the distributor along with the wire overheating because it sat too close to the motor. maybe check that?

Back