Stalls after battery died

RCJP

Hi I have 98 GC 4.0L, since i'm on vacation from work I did not use the jeep at all last couple of days and today i went to turn it on, the battery was dead. so I had a friend help jump started but, when it turn on I would not stay runnig. i had to keep pressing the GAS in oprder for it no to stall. after a couple of minutes it was ok. so after leting it charge the battery for a while I turned off.

Late I whent to check on it and it did the same thing.....
ANY IDEAS???

not getting any codes.
and i'm getting some backfire on the intake.

thank you

Well --- In this case. --- I would PULL the Battery. 1. Have the Battery Charged. 2. After Charging the Battery -- Have a LOAD test performed(Confirm Battery is GOOD) 3. CLEAN ALL Battery Terminals (with battery Term. TOOL) Install Battery back in Jeep. Does JEEP start NOW? IF it does -- CHECK CHARGING Voltage (Voltmeter) Is the Charging Voltage between: 14V and 14.25V? IF NOT, Might be Alternator OR Voltage Regulator! NO CODES? Good Luck -- JB

You're gonna need a new battery. Your battery only has a limited lifespan in it, and one rule of themb is that every full discharge is an automatic third of that lifespan.

Won't hurt to have that other mess checked for free, but the battery is most likely the entire problem, unless it's newer than three years AND was never run down before this first episode you mentioned.

You're gonna need a new battery. Your battery only has a limited lifespan in it, and one rule of themb is that every full discharge is an automatic third of that lifespan.

Won't hurt to have that other mess checked for free, but the battery is most likely the entire problem, unless it's newer than three years AND was never run down before this first episode you mentioned.

Its just about to hit the 3 year mark. and it the first time I have drained it. I had this same thing happen along time ago...after I drove through a buch of loose sand .... any way the battery got afull charge now and has not had the problemn any more. I guess it was the battery it just needed to be 100% thanks.

Sounds like you are -- Back UP and Running. Great. But, as Previous Poster Pointed Out ---- You MAY very well -- NEED a NEW Battery in the. NEAR Future. Some Batteries will become -- WEAK after 3 or 4 Years of use! -- JB

Sounds like you are -- Back UP and Running. Great. But, as Previous Poster Pointed Out ---- You MAY very well -- NEED a NEW Battery in the. NEAR Future. Some Batteries will become -- WEAK after 3 or 4 Years of use! -- JB

I got it atr walmart and it is still under warranty I think I will get a new after the holidays soI dont pay full price later... thanks

WARNING!!! The 98 GC voltage regulator is part of the PCM (computer) and this is a known issue with a bad PCM... draining the battery if the vehicle is not driven daily... the next stage in the failure of the PCM is charging voltage dropping down to 9-9.5 volts... First off ensure that you are indeed getting a full charge voltage of above 13.5 volts from your alternator when the GC is running. IF NOT pull the Alternator and have it checked. if it tests good you need to replace the PCM. If you are getting the proper charge voltage, something else is draining your battery down. Even a weak battery, of 10.5-11 volts will turn the 4.0 over... It is a good idea to invest in one of the new self maintaining battery chargers that use pulse charging technology to maintain your batteries, due to the new designs they use today, as well as a small maintenance charger if you are not going to be using the vehicle for a long period of time as the internal electronics are constantly putting a small drain on the battery even when the ignition is off. The vehicles PCM (some call it the ecm) is constantly on and using electricity as is your stereo's memory... plus any corosion or dampness on top of the battery will cause a minute drain... this all adds up to a dead battery in a week or two in the right conditions and temperatures

i would say new batter or altenator maybe the voltage regulator if none of those are bad make shur your wires lead to the battery from the altenator are not bare and grounding out i would do the same with the battery cables also

Back