clutch issues

desertrunner

I bought a 93 Cherokee. It has the ax 15 with internal slave. The problem I'm having is getting the clutch to stay working. I've bleed the system and it will work just enough to where I can use it and shift into first. But after some driving it gets worse and worse until I can no longer put it in gear while stopped. I've done this a few times now help?

is the slave cylinder new ? and how old is the clutch ? I installed a new clutch once but used the original flywheel and caused a problem like yours,, the flywheel was worn to much and can only be resurfaced once or twice untill it needs replaced as they aren't designed beyond that point , I ran in to this on a 2000 chevy 4x4 truck and had just put in a new clutch and had the flywheel resurfaced and could bleed it and work ok but not perfect for a short time and had to bleed over an over but never worked that good,,once I replaced the the flywheel problem was solved , but I cant say for sure that is your problem its just what I ran into once ,, if the slave cylinder is original it could the problem as well as a worn clutch

I really don't know. I just bought it a weak ago cause I rolled mine and am swapping parts over. The guy claimed it had a recently new clutch. Idk about any of the other parts. I'm hoping I won't have to seperate the trans and really get into it... If I went through that trouble IDE probly swap an external slave as well

well are you getting air out every time you bleed the system or is it pure fluid ? if its pure fluid then you probably have a problem in the system , you may need a new clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder , its easy enough to change the clutch master cylinder and bleed the system but you have to buy one if you cant find any other causes . and hope the previous owner did replace the clutch like he said . also if it was the flywheel it would still have a stiff pedal it just wouldnt go in gear easy so if yours is loosing pressure then its not the flywheel as I had misread your first post

The pedal stays the same.. ill have to bleed the system again tomorrow... I'm thinking there may be a leak in the system?

The pedal stays the same.. ill have to bleed the system again tomorrow... I'm thinking there may be a leak in the system?

if the pedal is not getting weak but just not letting you get it in gear properly it is possible that it is the flywheel if it has been resurfaced to many times but I do not know the tolerances and that is if the clutch and pressure plate are new and installed properly then maybe flywheel but that is a last resort.
is it getting low on fluid ? and are you getting air every time you bleed ? if your not getting air when bleeding and its not low then its something else as you should have all the air out by now and if the slave is internal and was not replaced then it could be a problem , thing is the previous owner did all that work ,,if it was me I may try and change the clutch master cylinder and see if that cured it, if not, then sounds like you have to pull the transmission , especially if its an internal slave cylinder and then you might as well rebuild everything , one more thing is there any adjustment on the clutch rod if so you could try that to see if it helps

No adjustment. I think it may be a leak from the master somewhere. I got it working and drove it to get smogged but as soon as I got there and signed paper work it decided to not work.. and there appeared to be brake fluid dripping.. I was able to start it in first gear with the clutch full in and they ran the test that way and power shifted to get in second. So now it works enough to let off pressure but not enough to put in gear from a stop

So I've done some testing to see when the clutch works and when it doesn't. Basically uphill is good downhill is bad. I live on a hill and after yesterday with no clutch I parked it uphill. Got in it today and the clutch worked well enough. When It first had an issue it was sitting parked downhill. I know to bleed the master you have to raise the front of the vehicle just like it would be parked uphill so I'm thinking that's it. I'm looking for other opinions and ideas

Will be replaceing the entire clutch assembly Monday. Dropping trans and everything. Does anyone have any helpfull hints for when I get into it to make it go smooth?

well i wish u luck and hopefully it comes out smooth ,
have u determined were it was leaking ? if it was the master cylinder I would try changing that before pulling , and see if that works , if the slave cylinder is leaking then I guess u gotta pull it if its internal slave either way I hope you get it going,,as far as hints I have none on a 93 Cherokee as havent done that particular one , but as it is like any its work but keep it supported good and have someone help ,,lubricate all bolts an nuts prior to removal and swear a lot ,, hope you have good work space to drop it and keep the engine supported , while taking apart,,hope u get it going

Last week a a bearing started screaming inside the bellhousing. It only happens while clutch is pushed in which means its throughout bearing on the slave. When I bought it the guy said he had just had the clutch done so I'm guessing he only had the clutch itself replaced. Seemed like a cheap guy. I bought a full kit and master cylander so everything will b new and all problems will have to go away.

Get Castrol GTLMA brake fluid for the clutch system. They use real rubber and the current "normal" brake fluids eat them up in a short time.

I changed it all weeks ago.. never posted.... The clutch disc was new but thats all. Idler bearing was obliterated and cause of the sounds. And the slave was leaking pretty bad causeibg my other problems.. all better now tho except I can tell ill need a new flywheel in the near future

Back