Transmission Troubles....Help!!

jeepgurl19

hey y'all! maybe one of y'all can help me out...

I have a 4.0 liter, 6 cylinder, automatic 1990 Cherokee and am having some transmission problems. When I put it in reverse and i start backing the transmission slips into neutral. This also happens when I put it in drive.When this happens the gear shift leaver doesn't move, but if I put it back in Park, and then back into reverse or drive it works. Do y'all have any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks!
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Have you checked the fluid? I know sometimes that can give shifting problems. Beyond that I'm pretty useless with automatic transmissions.

Terry

[addsig]

check your leakage to the trans. you also can put in a new filter and fluid in. sounds like you have some trash thats sticking inside the trans. other than that you'll have to go to a shop and have them look at it. bob [addsig]

I am having a similar problem. Mine doesn't do it in reverse though. I talked to a transmission guy and he thinks there is a leak in some pump in the transmission. I am taking it out now for him to rebuild. It is a Japanese transmission. Did you find out anything since you posted this message?[addsig]

Sounds like the transmission shift linkage is loose or out of adjustment. Look next to the transmission where the shift linkage is located, you should be able to loosen a nut and adjust the shift rod with the help of somebody behind the wheel.[addsig]

so, how do you go about adjusting it? is it something an average guy with tools can tackle himself? what's involved, just adjusting the linkage by guessing and trying it out?

-nate[addsig]

how many miles do you guys have on your jeeps? just tryin to get a feel for when i should start expectin this pleasant little suprise. im @ 77K and mine just started makin a funny sound when i back up. kinda a whirring sound like something might be rubbing. could just be the exhaust & fan tho cause mine idles at like 1500 in reverse but at like 700 in park and 900 in drive.[addsig]

There is a cam looking thing that attaches to the transmission shift shaft and the shift cable. The cam (lever) sometimes loosens up on the shaft. Cable adjustment is with the transmission in park, slip the cable out of the holder and see if the shaft moves any. There are detents inside the transmission, and a miss adjusted cable, will not allow the detents to seat completely. With the transmission in park, adjust the plastic nut, until the cable tension doesnt move the lever or shaft any, while in park.
But it´s usually a loose lever on the shift shaft.
The shifter at the gear lever (shifter) has never failed, for me, but has on occasion required some lubrication. Might be worth a look under the console, if cable adjustment and tightening the lever on the transmission doesn´t do it.[addsig]

Back