won't start

wivrrat

Hi. Have a 91 Cherokee 4x4. I tried to start it this a.m. and nothing. Turns but won't catch. I just ran it with no problems about 5 days ago. Thought maybe I was out of gas and topped off the tank and it is full.
It tries to catch once in a while. I hear the fuel pump kicking in but don't think its getting fuel. I don't know what to look at other then a fuel filter. I believe I changed that just a couple years ago.
Any help would be appreciated.

You need three things. Air, fuel and spark.
Load test the battery, check the fuel pressure and check for spark at a plug.

Any codes?

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Thanks. Never thought about spark plugs. Its been a while since I've changed them. I'll put a new set in and see what happens. I know it has fuel and air, so the plugs could be it. Thanks again. I'll let you know how the plugs work out.

Put the correct plugs in.
Like autolite AP985 if stock 2.5 or 4.0

Does your Jeep have security system?

Found this
“There is no chip in the key on a 1991 factory security system.

Just attach your battery cable and while the lights are flashing insert the key into the ignition and cycle the key a few times without turning over the motor and it should reset and disable the security system so you can start your XJ.

The key alone disables the security system when you insert the factory key into the driver door or rear hatch locks (when system is enabled and locked) and cycle the key. You can enable the system when leaving the vehicle by cycling the auto door locks to "lock" and shutting the driver door.

You can simply lock the driver door with the nob or the key and the security system is bypassed.

You don't need the remote transmitter to make the factory system work.”

Last edited:
Back