88 cherokee overheating

Jeeper89

just bought my jeep and it dosent like to stay cool, so i changed the theromostat and that didnt help, so i flushed the radaitor today and i noticed it doest heat up at quick, but still wants to overheat, if i am driving the temp will stay right after 210 but when i get stuck at a stop light it slowly creeps up, i dont really want to take it to a shop but this is my first cherokee so if anyone has any suggestions they will be greatly appericated

thanks

Hi

Sounds like either air is trapped in the system or the clutch fan is weak and not pulling enough air through at idle.

By the way, 210 degrees is perfectly normal for cherokees :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Also,

You should be able to freely turn the fan blades when the engine is cold
You should not or barely be able to turn the fan blades when the engine is hot.

If the above is not true, I'd suspect a bad fan clutch :wink:

ok well i drove the jeep around town, and it slowly rises, cant really tell a diffrent when i am moving but it will rise a lil after i stop at a redlight , from the time i stop the the time i take off it will have rose a lil , and i noticed that if i run the heater when i am driving it, it wount getpast the white line before the red section, after driving it i checked the collant bottle and the collant was below that lil stem thing you can see so i added it to almost fill the bottle up, so tommrow i will see if this helps, also i tried to spin the fan blades after i turned the motor off and they spun free, but when the motor is on the spin, i dont know if they spin as fast as they are suppost to but they spin, thanks for all the help

Yeah I am running the same thing, Everytime AFTER stop light, It would cool off little less 210. Check your water percentage.. My friend ( I dont know what to believe but he s an mechanic), He said if you put 50/50 it should cool down really good during Hot and cold days.. He said 1 quart pure antifreeze in would improve the cooling system alot??? I dunno..

A cooler thermostat may help, Check the fan clutch as mentioned. You might want to look into an electric fan set up rather than rebuild the old fan clutch as an up grrade. I am haveing sme over heating truobles with ol tugly so I have invested in new hoses, thermostat, and fresh antifreeze as well. There was a pin hole leak near the top of the radaitor so I added a bottle of barrs stop leak and that is history so now I will flush the system and replace all the parts. Good luck in you deal tug

tommrow i may go buy a 160 thermostat, and look at electric fans, also what size belt am i suppost to get if i do away with the fan because the serpintine belt would have alot of play in it then

Leave the pulley on, just remove the fan blade and clutch then replace the nuts on the pulley. Electric fan has worked well for me.
Many Chev V-8´s have the same bolt pattern for the fan clutch and depth, but the clutch is half again as big. If you get a junk yard fan clutch, be observant´as they do come in left and rights.
I use many Chev and Ford parts on my Jeeps, the only difference is often the price. The name Jeep just seems to cost more.
Some switches and sensors don´t work correctly at less than 140 deg (often a little to close to 160), the 180 thermo seems to work better in most cases. Many motors don´t seem to want to run right at too low of a temp. Most motors seem to want to work best above 190.

High tech twist on a old school mod!

tommrow i may go buy a 160 thermostat

Don't. Your Cherokee is designed to run at 210 degrees. As MudderChuck said, there can be negative consequences, and a cooler thermostat isn't fixing the real problem. :mrgreen:

The fact that you said the fan blades will spin after the engine has just been shut off (and is hot) would definately point to a bad fan clutch.

I d stick with 190 degree thermostat cuz I dont want you to go thru what I have gone thru!!! I bought two thermostat from Napa and They over heat more often and huge pain in the ass!! both thermostat is made for 180 degree so I misread what Mudderchuck had said to buy JEEP STOCK ones so I went over to Jeep dealer and only cost 10 bucks so since it ran really good!!!! Temp did went up but I had to add antifreeze PURE.. It did help today!!! Gonna see how it do when I pull my boat going camping this weekend..

Have a GOOD WEEKEND!!!!

ok i did a lil test, i turned on the ac when the clutch fan was on and it felt like both fans pulled the same amount of air, i put one hand in front of the AC fan and on in front of the clutch fan and it felt like they were pulling the same about of air, well next time i get payed i'll go get a fan clutch and see if that works, man i hope that is it

My flushmounts

The electric and mechanical fans don't necessarily pull the same amount of air. I'd think the clutch fan is stronger than the electric because the engine coolant is hotter than the A/C condensor coils :mrgreen:

Back