K and N filters and such

Cherokee_MZ

i was talking to my uncle a couple of weeks ago and we were talking about K&N filters and such. He thinks they are aweful(he owns a used car dealership-VW and Audi). He said they ruin your car. I had not heard that before and I would like to know what people who have them think. (please say what K& N product you have).

Windshield Soft Top Channels & Silicone

I have a K&N air filter in my TJ and I have had no problems with it. I have heard that their oil filters are not all that good, but everything else I've heard is great.

Cherokee_MZ said:
i was talking to my uncle a couple of weeks ago and we were talking about K&N filters and such. He thinks they are aweful(he owns a used car dealership-VW and Audi). He said they ruin your car. I had not heard that before and I would like to know what people who have them think. (please say what K& N product you have).

i'd ask your uncle to qualify his statement.. sounds kind of vague..... if they ruined your car i dont think they'd be as popular with the performance/offroad market....

Re: Jeepz.com site questions/suggestions...

I would be willing to bet your uncle like one brand in most everything from cigaretts to cars. Nothing else just his brand! If I am correct try not to listen to him to much. I know many folks that will not drink any thing but brand x and all the rest is bad. Drive a blank brand car and nothing else is so much as going to set in my drive way. YOu see what I am saying. K&N is just an air filter better than many I would say but I can not figure how it could ruin a car by keeping the iar supply filtered. Think about it. tug

I just finished recharging/cleaning my K&N this morning and the rig is running better than ever :wink:

I like my conical K&N. Nothing against your uncle, I'm sure he's a wise man, but owning a stealership does not make him a car eggspurt.

I just put in my K&N OEM replacement and had a sugnificant boost of Power and reaction time. I have NO CLUE how something that keeps Dirt and large particals out of your engine could be bad, even if you just put a 300+ threadcount sheet over the Intake.

thanks for the help everyone..... now i need to decide what filter or system i should put in... what are the differences in added power

I own three K&N filters, one in my Jeep and two in my Quads.
I have been running both in the Quads for over 10 years in the sand dunes. The Boost in performance in Alcohol bike was close to 0.9 sec improvement in the 1/8 mile on the sand.
Since I am limited to piston size and in-take opening so the 0.9 sec improvement in run time means alot.
I have the OEM replacment filter in my Jeep and been happy since 2001 with it.
Take a good look at there web site here, and as Tug had said since there such gowd alful how come there on most race cars today?

he might have been saying that K&N filters ruin cars, meaning that the performance filters lower the perceived value of the car by implying that the previous owner drove them harder than if it were a stock intake.

the only way a k&n filter can ruin your car is if u have a mass air flow sensor and the oil from the k&n hits the map sensor. and then u might have to replace the sensor but we dont have to worry about that we dont have that a map sensor.

I´m just regurgitating some of the things, I´ve heard on other boards. And some of my own oppinion. The K&N doesn´t do a much better job (maybe worse) than the stock filter at filtering small paritcules. Very fine paritcules like silicates slip through. A pre filter is recommended in very fine dust or sand. I buy filter matrial at an outlet 3-5 micron and make my own prefilters. A square yard of tacky 3-5 micron filter material half an inch thick, will make three or four pre filters (accordian style) and can be washed and reused. The pre filter can be removed quickly, on the road, if it becomes plugged. The prefilter doesn´t seem to help nearly as much with the OEM paper filter, very fine dust and moisture turn to cement in the filter. Where in the oil soaked filter (K&N) the fine particules don´t bond (can be washed back out). K&N seem to take a light bath much better than the OEM type filters. Though submersion will turn both into a wad of junk, the K&N can often be straightened and used again.
It´s beens said the K&N doesn´t flow much better than the stock filter. Well maybe both being new that´s a fact (or close) but I can tell you from experience, the paper filter plugs up (becomes restricted) pretty easy and is almost impossible to successfully clean.
I know the K&N holds up better when wet, I thrown away many paper filters, due to moisture.
Throttle responce, seems to be better with the K&N for a longer period of time. A new OEM filter starts falling off on flow pretty quick. Don´t know about HP claims. An OEM type filter and a K&N replacement for the OEM filter are probably pretty much the same in overall HP. The biggest restriction is probably in the plumbing not the filter. K&N´s always seemed to me, to improve throttle responce some.

I don't know too much about the K & N's for the off-road scene because I previously owned a Civic....yeah yeah, I only miss the gas mileage, but I do know that the K & N's were pretty much the best you could get without buying a whole new air intake system, and thats really too much money for the power gains. But from everything that I've heard, I don't think anything was bad about them...my dad has a K & N filter on his '03 cobra mustang, and he got a fairly good power gain. I think the only way it could ruin a car is by the value as mentioned above.

Back