Thread: CV Boot

AaronB is offline Junior Member
    Hi guys
    Youve helped a lot in the past. I need to know how to replace a CV Boot on my 1994 Jeep GrandCherokee 5.2L. There is NOTHING in the Chilton's. I guess maybe it is as simple as disasemling it to the point of removing the boot then working back. Any pointers will help.
    The boot is shredded, and while I drive, there are occasional jolts from that area of the car, it feels like I am hitting a real sharp pothole, but there aren't any on the road! particularly when I am accelerating after turning. Hopefully putting a new boot and lube in there will solve the prob. Thanks for any tips. PS-what exactly is the CV joint, is it the same ast the steering knuckle?
    AaronB

Bounty__Hunter is offline Moderator
    I didn't know there was a CV boot on a '94 XJ

Steering knuckle and CV joint are different. The steering knuckle is on each end of your front axle, it's what the tierod is connected to. Your front driveshaft likely has a double cardan joint, which is often called a CV joint (incorrectly so).

I may be incorrect in the lingo. Is an XJ the same as a Grand Cherokee? I had a mechanic tell me the CV boot was bad, and when I inspected it myself, there is a conical rubber boot held on by a clam at either end. It is between the back of the wheel and I guess the outer end of the axle. My "boot" or whatever it is, is ripped apart.

bchcky is offline Senior Member

Re: Black Wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronB
    Is an XJ the same as a Grand Cherokee?
    no...bounty he's talking about a zj, not an xj.
    Jack Bauer kills for Jesus: 10

balloo93 is offline Senior Member
    You should seriously consider this swap:

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/weak_link/

Why just fix it, when you can make the front end stronger!

I didn't know the ZJ used a CV shaft. Figured they were the same between XJ/ZJ/YJ.

Good link, I'd recommend you upgrade instead of replacing with stock parts. It's easy to replace the front axle shafts, we'll be here to help with any questions.

OK, I am a little slow
    The clunk wasn't in my cv axle, it was my transfer case, which is now totally shredded. I am trying to line up a new one. Mine is model NP249, with 272 gear ratio. There are also 8 numbers in the middle of the tag-serial I am assuming- 5209 7529. I want to make sure I am matching the correct new t-case to my vehicle, in doing that, do I need to worry about the 8 digit number, or just make sure the NP249 and 272 are the same? Thanks

graewulf is offline Senior Member
    ZJ with CV joints? i'm pretty sure its got U-joints at the wheels
    When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of!

1995 Grand Cherokee w/ swaybar disconnects and 30" tires and a 2000 Grand Cherokee stock.

Check out the above pic, both CV joints and ujoints were used in the Grand through the years.

graewulf is offline Senior Member
    guess i'm gonna have to check mine.. its a 95 and feels like u joints when cornering.....
    When I Die, Bury me in my JEEP. 'Cause it's never been in a hole it couldn't get out of!

1995 Grand Cherokee w/ swaybar disconnects and 30" tires and a 2000 Grand Cherokee stock.