Is it a REAL JEEP?!?

Saurian

Ok, I'm clarifying here because when I first posted, I was a little vague due to lack of sleep... Looking at YOUR Jeep, and those around you... Did they take it for face value that it was an off-road capable vehicle, or did they laugh at you and tell you it was a grocery getter... That's the primary part of the poll...

Then...

Did you then prove it to them so that they know that the Cherokee is serious... If so, how? (lift/bodywork, cover in mud, take them mudding, show up other Jeep...)

I know, I worded this terribly, I had just gotten off work, and was barely awake :)

My friends and family all believed it, from the get-go, and it helped that I took them off-roading, and proved it's mightiness... Also, my parents were around during the late AMC days, so they knew of Jeep then, and realize that this is a direct descendant of a revolutionary off-roading vehicle... Some of the guys at work, with their monster trucks are convinced that it is just a grocery-getter, although when I pulled up a few times covered from wheel to antenna with mud, and everything in between, they were less skeptical...

So, for the most part, yes, the people that I know accept the Cherokee as an off-roading vehicle...

I voted that "nobody gets it" only because you said MOST people. We all know that those in the know know, no? (???????)....... But MOST people listen to all the hype on the TV and go shoppin' for "SUV"'s.

just look at my cherokee!! LOL with a little help (maybe some bigger tires) i could run over MOST stock cars. no question at all. not so sure about the liberty though. there really isnt a whole lot of aftermarket lifts out for it, but I have seen a few that would go places and do things that even a wrangler would touch!

I read somewhere that when the Cherokee was rolled out in 84 that it was the most capable off road production vehicle that year. Can't quote who or when, but besides early years 5 spd and 2.5 gm engine problems it was and still be one baaaaaaaaaaad dude!

heck yeah! my GC will outpace most TJs (stock) on the trail because of its longer wheelbase. Yes, in most situations, longer is better. I get through places they get off-camber, just have to watch the high centering. and on a hill you can't beat it... and I have proven its off-road worthiness at Paragon, totally stock.

I edited this, because I worded it terribly from the get-go... Mud, you got me, but now I'm going more specific; friends, family, co-workers... Read the top post...

And...

I agree about the whole SUV thing... I was doing some roofing on the side, flat roof repair at some place in Pontiac, you know, hoity-toity office in front, big old factory in back... EVERY SINGLE ONE AT THAT OFFICE... Escalades, explorers, liberties, grand cherokees, expeditions, h2s... One person per vehicle, one vehicle that has never seen anything but heated garage and asphalt... Why not get a car? Don't like the size? Go for a van... Too big? Get a Pacifica... Too Constricted? Get a truck!!! But why oh why get something with 4X4, that eats gas like it was going out of style, for the briefcase-and-morning-coffee commute?!?

So yeah, post edit, revote, whatever you wish... If one of our good forum administrators wants to clear out the first 6 votes on the poll, I would appreciate it. Again, sorry for the bad wording.

'Nobody' is such a cut and dry decision, tough to go either way.

We've got a lot of very capable grocery getter Jeeps in our club, but we give them lots of hell none the less. It's common practice, they know better than to take it serious.

One very capable XJ even has the rear window decal "Groceries Delivered Anywhere".

Don't get me started on the Liberty :roll:

grocery getter with jeeper behind the wheel. ie. in the winter park in the only space in the grocery store lot that is covered with mounds of plowed snow.

my zj isn't a grocery getter only for the fact that the liftgate won't even stay open long enough to get groceries in or out :lol: . every once in a while when i get a chance to get it dirty, i do but i can't say that anyone has ever said anything about its capabilities one way or the other.

though i did climb a hill in the back of a parking lot while my friend was with me and the look on her face was priceless. i don't know if it was because she doubted the jeep or doubted that i would do something like that or a combination of both.

i agree with siminsez01 about a jeeper being behind the wheel :wink:

in London the anti 4x4 ers call em chelsea tractors.

Mine goes off road every day at work on site. and its great in the winter for pulling rangerovers out of the snow ( rangerovers are supposed to be the mutts nuts but in reality wouldn't pull a greasy man out of a greasy bed)

Back