Couldn't get out of 4WD, took out front driveshaft for time

90Wagoneer

I couldn't get the thing to stay in 2WD and two of the u-joint bolts at the rear of the front driveshaft had come off so for the time being, I took out the fornt driveshaft until I can get to a transmission shop to look at the transfer case.

My question is with the shaft out, I am obviously a 2WDer right now - am I risking anything mechanically? I assume that the transfer case is still turning the front drive assembly, albeit without a driveshaft to turn.[addsig]

just don't forget you're only runnin' 2wd and go diving into a mud pit...
image-missing.png
[addsig]

If your shift lever is moving to 2wd, then you are in 2wd and no power is going to the front driveshaft. If the 4wd light is staying on, the problem is with the vacuum motor in the front axle disconnect. You'll have to remove it (4 bolts on pass. side of front axle) and make sure the shift fork moves freely. Clean it up with WD40, and spray into the vacuum ports on the shift motor while moving the shift fork by hand.

You may also need to check the vacuum at the front axle, make sure it's equally strong in one tube then the other, when shifted from 2wd to 4wd and back.

Let me know if this helps.[addsig]

Back