Fuse location

hillbillyman06

Anybody got an owners manual for a 97 Cherokee Sport? I need to know the location of the windshield washer pump fuse. I want to check that before tearing into the inner fender and checking the pump itself. I looked thru the Haynes book and it doesn't show anything.

According to my owners manual, the windshield wiper system is controlled by a 20 amp circuit breaker, located in the fuse panel behind the kickplate on the passenger side... Going out to the Jeep now to see if that controls the wiper pump system, will be back in a couple minutes.

Allrighty... I pulled a bunch of fuses, and tried my best to follow the wiring diagrams from my factory service manual... I'm working with an '00 Cherokee, but I'm pretty sure that the wiring system is the same on 97+...

From what I found out, the 20 amp circuit breaker controls the wipers, and the front wiper pump... Fuse 22 controls the rear wiper, and pump... I say the pump, because it no longer works when you pull that circuit breaker, or fuse...

Looking at the wiring diagrams, assuming that I'm reading them correctly, and it's been a while, I see no other fuse between the wiper fuse, and the pump motor.

It is NOT: Any of the small fuses in the power distribution center under the hood, though if you pull the one in the upper right, looking at it from the front, the engine will shut down. It also is NOT, inside the Jeep, fuses 3,4,5,7,9,10 (throws a check engine light, though), or 18... I pulled those, because it seemed to make the most sense that it might be them...

Hope some of this helps... Is it possible, perhaps, that your wiper tank is frozen up? Does the rear wiper/sprayer work? Do the front wipers work?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Saurian....I will have to wait and see if it is frozen..the temps here haven't gotten above freezing in quite some time...until the other day. I just want to check everything out before tearing into the inner fender of it..looks like it might be a pain. Again ty for the info!

No worries... Heck, I learned a bunch of new things while I was ripping out fuses and reading manuals, and new knowledge is always good... You should be able to hear the pump running even if the lines are frozen up, turn the key to ON, radio and blowers off, and see if you can hear it trying to run, front and back...

The rear pump is working great...but I can't hear anything coming from the front pump..so I guess it is time to rip the inner fender out and replace the pump.

Check and see if it has power before you rip it out and replace it. Just get one of those poke lights. They work great for checking fuses too. There are little holes in the end of the stab-in fuses for sticking the probe in.

36583_1175-1.jpg

Ooh... Magic Light! Y'know, if I actually thought about using one of those before I started tearing things apart, I would probably have about a month of my life back by this point... It usually hits me that there was an easier way when I have a pile of parts and wires sitting in my lap, observing them to see if they look wrong...

Is the wire harness for the pump easily accessable without pulling the fender off though? I know that the tank and pumps are located in the fender, but I have not had the dubious pleasure of becoming better acquainted with them...

I am not quite sure what I am going to get into with it...Probably start on it this weekend..Looks like I will only have to pull the inner fender from inside the wheel housing..

actually I believe it was just froze up....been pretty cold here. They havent said anything about it since my last post so I guess all is good! Thanks

Sweet... Had that happen to mine, lucky I didn't burst the tank... I usually run water in the summer, with the mudding, and the dust, and everything else, I'd rather spend 2 bucks on a gallon of gas than a gallon of blue stuff... The gas lasts longer... Unfortunately, you wake up one October morning, and it's 20 degrees out. That kinda bites...

Back