what should I do with this cherokee?

raziel89

I have a 1985 jeep cherokee pioneer with a 2.8L motor and 241,000 miles on it. It has a top speed of 57 mph so i decided it is time to put in a new motor. I was wanting to put a 360 out of a 1979 cherokee chief in it but I don't think it will fit. I was also going to put the th400 in it from the chief. If anyone knows the easiest and most inexpensive way to put any size motor in it please let me know.

what do you mean it wont fit? have you ever seen the harrahs auto collection in reno,nv.? why that man had a big ol v-12 stuffed into a jeep wagoneer!! oh my gosh....

the easy way is to put another 4cyl in the jeep. but that would be silly. As a daily driver with a wide range of off-road use makes the I6 a good choice. If you do moderate to low city driving and very good to exelent off road capability I would sugest the chevy 350. With the large after market use and custom applications there is a large variety of custom parts to mount the 350 in any application.

if it has an np229 txfr case, that is the same as grand wagoneer 360 v-8,go for it. use grand cherokee 360 v-8 springs they'll fit. use engine and trans from gr.wag. 2.8's came with 4.10 gears- gr8 w/ big tires and lift. if you have dana 44-ok. dana 35 won't stand a 360 for long.

Just keep your eyes open for a used 4.0 Inline 6 cyl. Theyre quite easy to find. Its a great engine and will be an easy fit.
image-missing.png

If you are in Calif. you will be stuck with replacing your engine with a rebuilt 2.8 (V6) I replaced mine. After some research I found that Chevy has made a newer version of this engine with more horsepower and torque - but it is not legal to run in Calif. If you put another engine other than stock you will never get it passed by State Smog Stations. good luck

good day
if you do much looking on the net there is a site called jeepsonly.com in their how to section there is a break down of the 2.5Lt to 4Lt conversion
If your interested
the net is abounding with info.

good day
if you do much looking on the net there is a site called jeepsonly.com in their how to section there is a break down of the 2.5Lt to 4Lt conversion
If your interested
the net is abounding with info.

the engine swap for the 2.8 v6 i believe you are speaking of is the 3.4 v6

GM produced this motor and i believe it came out in the 93 Camaro Click Here to read more about it

i suggest doing many many burnouts (until the engine croaks) and then do whatever you like. sky's the limit.

go with the 4.0l. if you go with a v-8 you may end up tearing up trannies, diffs or transfer cases later. the 4.0 is very reliable. mine just got rebuilt at 222k and runs great. previous owner really neglected it and it came back to life with a rebuild.

[addsig]

Back