misfireing when warm

haighy

my 1999 4.0 cherokee ltd has a small but anoying problem.Starting from cold it fires up and runs great.I can drive for miles no prob, as soon as I park up and leave the car for say 30 min, it`ll start up no problems and the temp gauge still shows the engine to be warm but for the first 100 yards of driving the engine will splutter becoming worse the harder I put my foot down on the pedal but will improve if i take my foot off throttle.there is a clicking noise each time it cuts out/kicks in.After 100 yards it`ll clear and be great.Anyone got any ideas.Haighy

I think it's a heat soak problem of the injectors. Check for a TSB, I think there may be a heat shield available.

Technical Service Bulletin, issued by Jeep, not quite a recall.

Did you have the heat shield installed on the intake manifold per the recall?

i only got the car 3 weeks ago so don`t know if any work has been done on it, how would I find out.Haighy

Call a dealer, give them your VIN number and they'll check for any recalls that have been done or need to be done.

Friends of mine with a similar problem simply put a heat shield type boot, similar to what is used on the plug end of spark plug wires, around the injector where the manifold shield focuses all the heat. Took care of the problem.

this tsb is a pcm update

it dosn't apply to your year jeep.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe a 20 to 30 second rough idle following the restart of a heat
soaked engine. This condition may be most noticeable when the engine is restarted
following a 10 to 20 minute heat soak in hot ambient conditions of approximately 32 C
(90 F) or higher. This condition may be consistent with short city stop-and-go driving
trips and can be aggravated by the use of fuel with high ethanol content.
The new software lowers the temperature threshold used to determine when the engine
cooling fans are turned on. The cooling fans will cycle on more often.

Back