Running out of fuel - but not empty!

RoxyStoxy

Hi I have a WG GC V8 here in Australia. Love it, but am planning to do a trip across the Simpson Desert and need to be able to use all available fuel in the tank.

Problem is when the trip computer says there is still 40-50km to empty and the fuel gauge is showing just above 1/16 full (low fuel warning light is not on) it stops - out of fuel. :redface: Adding fuel gets us going again, but it takes only about 65-68 litres to fill the tank. Tank is rated 80 litres, so it seems there is fuel left in the tank the trip computer and the fuel gauge thinks should be useable.

Is anyone familiar with this problem? Or can you point me to where I can find a solution?

Thanks,

Peter - new to this forum from downunder.

Welcome to the Z. Are you sure messing with the fuel tank is worth the hassle when compared to carrying an extra jerrycan of fuel?

We will need to carry 4 jerry cans as is - would prefer not to have to make that 5 because there's 10-15 litres of fuel in the tank I should be able to use. Cheers, Peter

Yes. I've taken my Jeep to the local Jeep dealer and they reckon I just need a new fuel sender unit (A$500 ouch). But I can't see how that explains the amount of fuel left in the tank when it runs out of fuel. Unless the fuel guage sender unit is also the pickup?

Yes. I've taken my Jeep to the local Jeep dealer and they reckon I just need a new fuel sender unit (A$500 ouch). But I can't see how that explains the amount of fuel left in the tank when it runs out of fuel. Unless the fuel guage sender unit is also the pickup?

The fuel sending unit is attached to the same module as the fuel pickup tube. if the sending unit get's stuck at a certain level as your fuel is consumed, your gauge will tell you that there's still fuel in the tank but in reality, there's not.

Back