02 GC Laredo - Slipping Trans, Now What?

dingus

I've got a 2002 Grand Cherokee Laredo, I6, auto... the transmission is starting to slip. Today when I started it, it was parked on an uphill slope; I put it in drive and let off the brake - it rolled backwards, pretty quickly. I had to put one foot on the brake and the other on the gas, revving it up to ~2k RPM's for 5 or 10 seconds before the transmission "engaged" and started to pull me up the hill out of my driveway.

My mechanic today said that it was probably not a good sign. I checked the fluid and it was full. Now, I'm thinking that I might want to find a V8 / trannny swap to install - what makes for an easy swap into this thing? If a rebuilt transmission is going to run me $2k, and a V8 / transmission swap can be done for $3k, I'm all about it. What do you guys think?

There are 3 Transmissions that are compatible to the 4.7 from the factory, 45RFE, 545RFE and the 42RE. Outside of that, i dont know of any other bolt on transmissions to the 4.7 liter engine.

how much does a used 4.7 + trans typically run for? How tough is the swap? What else would I need?

Basically trying to find out if there is an easier / bang-for-buck swap choice...

Last edited:
These prices are from a dealer.. A Remanufactured 4.7liter from Chrysler is around $6,260.00 + 800 Core, 45RFE (Remanufactured) $2,975.00+650 core.. I don't think you want that option, I'd rather buy a NEUSED Jeep for that Price.

It sounds like my best bet would be to buy a rolled-over & totalled jeep that had a 4.7 in it stock, and rob the engine, trans, wiring, etc... from the donor jeep. I'm also going to check and see what gearing I have in my jeep, that will help determine what to do next... i'm considering a 4.7, a few bolt-ons for the 4.0, and/or regearing.

It sounds like my torque converter is dying, so a transmission rebuild is in order regardless of what happens with the engine. Anyone have experience with putting a 4.7 V8 into a non-full-time-4wd transfer case?

Back