Should i buy a REALLY high mileage cherokee?

dcornman

I'm in the market for a cheap daily driver and something I can take up into the mountains sometimes. I found and test drove a Jeep today that has REALLY high mileage. Like 330k miles. The guy wants $1,000 for it.

It's a 1990 Jeep Cherokee. Manual Transmition. 4x4. It is ridiculously clean and in amazing condition. It drove really well and the guy said there has never been a problem with the engine or transmission.

It has a lift kit, brand new brakes, windshield, shocks, springs, and belts.

I want to pull the trigger but the mileage is a little scary to me. What should I do?

and the guy said there has never been a problem with the engine or transmission.

My best guess is that it is due, based on age and mileage?

If you get a year out of it, might be worth it.

Have you made an offer under a $1000?

The guy actually wanted $1500 for it originally but I got him down to $1000.

Yeah, I feel like if it lasts the year then I'd be happy with it. But that break-down is gonna suck.

Could you part it out for $1000? If the rims, tires, lift, axles, interior, etc are worth a grand, then you should be fine.

heck Ive seen 4.0s go as long as 500000 miles there great engines I have 0ver 300000 on mine runs like a champ and I beat the _______ out of it!!!

all the XJ's I've had have had over 250K miles on 'em before I got rid of 'em and they still ran good, and I beat on mine, if this one's clean and has been well maintained, I'd say go for it, and like someone else said, you can buy a replacement drive train for it if it blows up, or part it out and get most of your money back, sounds like a win/win to me, I'd buy it.

The sell point for me would be the 5 speed. I don't have a lot of faith in high mile automatics. But I prefer the manual anyways. If you buy it I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have with mine. As I just posted on another thread in here about mine has just over 250K. Although I have to do some work to it sometimes, I wouldn't want to get rid of it for $1000.

If you haven't bought it yet send me his number I will....lol .....no seriously buy it, then with your extra couple hundred get a low mileage engine from the junkyard and rebuild it slowly to have ready when yours dies.

I know i'm no super jeeper like some of these fellas but my cherokee is at 300k and gets 23 to 25 mpg and runs great. I have an engine in the garage that I am building and will be dropping in this summer. The work is easy,except when I dropped the oilpan on my face and shoved my teeth through my lip, and she has more than repaid me the 1500 bucks I spent. If you can do the work yourself and take your time that little jeep will do you a fine job. Good luck!

i would buy it in a heartbeat for the shape your saying and price. mine was 2K and in the same shape but less mileage, 125k

Back