Figure this one out i will call you a genius

hunterman1381

Howdy guys, I have been out of the jeep world for a while ;-( but i recently managed to purchase a 97 grand cherokee becuase it broke down and the guy didn't have the money to fix it. Anyway forgive me if this gets a bit long but it is getting pretty complicated (at least for me). It does not get any spark, so it obviously does not start. I put a new crank sensor in it, a new ignition coil, and a new ASD relay. now with the key on i have about 5 volts coming to the plugs on the crank sensor, cam sensor, and tps, (good reference voltage?), i also have good voltage coming into the coil when i crank it over, and voltage to the injectors when it cranks. The check engine light is on but i do not have a OBDII tester to find the codes. The dome lights stay on all the time, and my in dash display shows that the hood and hatch are open, could this be tripping a safety feature? or where should i look next? Thanks in advance! :)

Did you check the no spark from the spark plug cable or coil side? SES will stay on until the engine is running. IF the VTSS is triggered, the symptom should be a start and stall. Also, have you checked for fuel pressure?. If the fuel pump circuit is open, the PCM will not enable the ignition to operate. Also verify that the distributor rotor turns when the engine is cranking, If not , check the distributor drive gear.

I tested it both spots both on the wire running from the coil to the distributor cap and the spark plugs. I have about 48 psi of pressure at the fuel rail. Good response, never would have thought to check fuel pressure for an ignition problem :)

i had this problem on my old gw and it turned out to be cracked wires to and from the distributor. they were shorting out enough to kill the thing but still give good voltage reads at the various points.

Find a Haynes manual and you can get those check engine codes yourself by turning the key on and off three times, the codes flash at you through the check engine light. But I think those codes deal with emission sensors. The dome lights and info center faults sound like a short,, might sound crazy but check out your tow bar light socket for corrosion.

Back