$85 dollars for Hoses...Your kidding me right?

thomasw

Ok, Im up at my dealership gettin my rearview mirror reglued (90 degrees today on it all day got the best of it i guess) so i ask him to chekc my hoses real quick cause they felt a bit mushy to me....he said, well with summer commin up, its a good idea to go ahead and replace the two heater hoses and the upper and lower radiator hoses, i was like alrighty, i appreciate it.so i head on inside to the parts dept. let me get a price quote.....$85 dollars....no i want rubber hoses, not 24k gold plated hoses... yes i understand they are premolded and all that good stuff, but 85 dollars?? Ok where can i get premolded hoses for my cherokee? i refuse to spend that much for some hoses Thanks guys :-x [addsig]

Avoid the stealers I mean dealers when ever possible. Check NAPA the Auto Zone or wone of the many parts houses. Tug[addsig]

After ordering the pre formed hose for my XJ and getting the wrong hose three times. I found a place that specializes in rubber products, across the street from a few truck garages. They have a selection, of just about every universal type radiaitor hose (type with the built in spring) possible, alonmg with fan belts and such. If the bend isn´t impossibly tight, you can find a universal to fit. Once you figure out what fits, you can buy two sets, pack one away in a plastic bag with some baby powder inside and have money left over to buy an extra belt or two.[addsig]

There is no standardization between dealers either, we have two here, one in the main metropolitan area, who has a mix of good and bad folks, and one about 20 miles south where everyone will bend over backward to help you. Their prices are different also. Plus, the one to the south often comes up with parts and pieces to fix things instead of "the whole assembly". The bottom line that they have forgotten is customer service. BTW, I would like to know what they charged to reglue the mirror?[addsig]

here is your answer if this is an XJ, I am not totally sure about the ZJ.

Do you see on the hoses where the crimp connectors are ( where the hose goes from rubber to metal), THAT is what you are paying $85 bucks for. All you need to do is cut the crimp clamp carefully with a whizwheel or hacksaw, being extremely careful not to cut the metal tube, then remove the clamp, and hose. Go to your local parts house and match up the rubber hoses and reattach them to the OEM tubing with regular stainless worm clamps. I have a buddy at the local dealer parts counter, so i ocasionally get the good hints. ;-)

edited by: jeepthrills, Apr 13, 2003 - 10:02 PM[addsig]

Well guys that sounds ok LOL... i spent $95 NZ for just a upper rad hose here in New Zealand..... i need to do a few more things to my 96 XJ yet to but im always slowed buy the almighty $$$$. are'nt we all .. Stay safe from NZ
:cool: [addsig]

Back