Coolant Level Warning

SteveMann

I've got a '03 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 125k miles... Shortly after a coolant service at Sears Auto (suck out the old, pour in the new) I started getting a "Coolant Level Low" warning in my overhead display. The coolant level in the overflow bottle is good, so I replaced the coolant Level sensor in the overflow bottle.

I'm still getting the annoying chime and "Coolant Level Low" warning. Sometimes it shows up as soon as I start the jeep, other times it will kick on half way to where I'm going. How can I make this warning go away?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hate to ask you to remove the now replaces sensor but I just wonder if the bottom of the over flow bottle still has sediment and is clogging to sensor's tip. As long as the electrical connector is clean and most likely is or the dash light wouldn't light , that is all that will most likely cause this condition that I know.

Hate to ask you to remove the now replaces sensor but I just wonder if the bottom of the over flow bottle still has sediment and is clogging to sensor's tip. As long as the electrical connector is clean and most likely is or the dash light wouldn't light , that is all that will most likely cause this condition that I know.

Thanks, I didn't think of looking inside the pverflow bottle. As I understand it the sensor is a float that controls a variable resistor.
There is no dashboard light, just the chime and message in the overhead display.

Ok , so this is a smart sensor that actually monitors lever and not wait until the bottle is almost empty . I never looked at the over flow coolant reserve on my brothers '99 grand , Asuming it has the same. Sounds like it may be causing a false reading. You could try to remove it from the bottle and try both the new and the old sensor since it has a float and see if there are any dead spots in either causing an inaccurate reading just to rule out that . You might want to check wiring and plug connector as well. But still , it is strange that this is occurring AFTER the coolant flush.

Do you have the automatic zone control system-on board diagnostics? AZC. if you do there is a test(I have manual that shows how) stores historic faults and current faults, just a thought. Try disconnecting the battery and it will clear those codes in your overhead display but not DTC. Worth a shot. If you have the AZC,(guessing not because you said overhead display and not heater display panel) I would draw the codes before disconnecting bat. If it comes back, then you have another issue. Mine kept doing (chime) for a signal light that burnt out, even after I replaced it. Very annoying and distracting. Would still check connectors too

Thanks Drewbuddy - I don't have AZC, just the old controls for basic heat, but where does the heater figure in the coolant level sensor?

dang, i am glad that my 98 grand cherokee has the float style overflow. the new type sounds like its a pain.

mine comes on every few days because the 98 has a very small pin hole in the radiator so about once a week, if i drive the jeep daily, i have to fill the overflow bottle back up.

Thanks Drewbuddy - I don't have AZC, just the old controls for basic heat, but where does the heater figure in the coolant level sensor?

That's what it said in the manual. And it worked for my chime issue

Last edited:
Back