99 2dr xj blower motor quit working

Jaymac529

My 2dr 1999 xj blower motor quit working.checked and double checked all fuses and relays all are good and working but no power??any ideas or similar problems?? Also tested the blower motor itself that's also good....

How did you test the blower motor ? did you run a 12 volt wire to it and it worked or did you Ohm it ?

Mike

Agreed , how was the test performed ? What were the results ? If the fan motor spins when jumped to 12volts , the problem may likely be the blower motor resistor or the fan switch . Both , switch and resistor are notorious for failing. Heat and corrosion do their deed to theses parts as well.

12 volt test meeter. There is power in the resistor but nothing at the dial in the dash so probably the switch ???

Ok , the power from the fuse first feeds the switch so there should be power read from at least the wire that feeds the switch even if no power is being sent from the switch to the blower motor. The next place power goes after the switch is the blower motor resistor , then , the blower motor..
its strange your reading voltage at the resistor but the motor isn't spinning ?
so , you've already bypassed the blower motor wiring harness and applied 12volts to the motor to test it ?
Ok , at no time when the wiring harness is hooked up entirely ( switch , resistor & motor ) there is no voltage read from the motor when the switch is in any speed ?
So , we have a good blower motor but no voltage is making it to the resistor and on to the motor , if I am correct ?
If nothing is read at the resistor , that means either the switch is bad OR the climate control panel is bad .
I just swapped one on my '92 jeep recently ( it pays to have spare parts sometimes).
I found that there was no voltage read at the harness plug to the resistor , which is the last stop before the motor . Since I was reading voltage at the wore(s) feeding the climate control panel input feed , I knew it wasn't feeding the fan switch either. I made certain by probing the fan switch with the panel engaged in a/c , vent , heat and defrost.
To be sure , you will have to follow from where voltage comes from the fuse and into the panel.
From there , voltage goes through the fan switch and to the resistor and to the motor .
The oanel has its own switch since it has to turn on a/c as well as provide vent , heat and defrost.
Forgot to ask , but is the a/c engaging ?
Im not familiar withe the '99 dash . Is the blower motor resistor down at the passenger side plenum before it reaches the blower motor or is the resistor mounted to the fan switch ?
Before looking for a new panel in its entire , be sure that it is really bad .
i believe it's possible that the panel could still be good IF the a/c compressor still engages when a/c is selected , even if no blower motor speeds are found. This was once my case on my jeep but wasn't that lucky this time around.
The only reason to replace an entire panel is if the a/c switch AND vacuum control are bad . I don't believe the small replacements are available to repair it . If needed , an auto recycler will be the best bet. If that is the plan , to replace the whole panel , be certain you can check one with an ohm meter since that will be the only way at the junk yard. Electrical parts are normally subject to no returns policy.
please check and double check . Not only do you want to get this working again but avoid buying something you don't need . Also , I didn't ask before but inspect wiring for signs of overheating . Melted insulation covering burned wiring will cause excessive resistance and burn out replacement parts quickly. Hope this helps . Please post back when you can . Thanks.

Back