95 ZJ No Start

porridge8712

I've got a 95 ZJ 4.0, been having a few issues (like once a week) for awhile, I'm about two more repairs from gas can and matches territory, so if anyone can help me out with this I'll be very appreciative.

Recently, I'd have to try and start her, let it crank for 3 seconds, turn key off, then crank her up again to let her start. If I gave her gas right afterwards, she'd bog down. Usually after a minute or so of driving she'd be good to go and act normal. Friday I went to start her, using aforementioned procedure, and she wouldn't do too much. Lots of cranking and no catching, sometimes she'd start, and then die once I stepped on the pedal. If I managed to get her going (after keeping her around 1k RPMs) and then took my foot off of the gas, she'd die. Had a great time pushing her into a parking lot while my kids watched. Any help is appreciated.

Changed Crank Sensor/Ignition Coil/reman PCM 2 weeks ago.
Fuel pump was a week before that

****EDIT****

Hooked fuel pressure gauge up, no pressure at rail. IAC clicks rapidly while ignition is in key ON position. If I remove the fuel pump relay, the IAC stops clicking. Swapped fuel pump relay with AC relay, same issue

Last edited:

Finally got her running, I had disconnected the IAC and TPS sensor, and she started up! Prudence would dictate that there must be an issue with one of those components, right? I jiggled the connection at the PCM, nothing, jiggled it further back towards the firewall, she died.

Can I tell you all how much I **HATE** tracing down wires? No? Suffice it to say, it is my least favorite thing to do. Jiggled her again (key was still in ON position) and I heard relays clicking, sounds promising. Key off, then start and *BOOM* she starts back up. Jiggled connection again, same place, she died. Wiggled the CKP connection, relays click, followed the ground wire (circuit Z12, black/tan wire that grounds on ignition coil bolt) and it was loose. One of the ignition coil bolts was a PITA to remove (sort of a threaded rod, with a two flanged bolts. One holds the ignition coil in place, the other is removed to connect battery ground and Z12 ground and then other bolt is tightened down). Since I could not remove the second nut, I stuck a 1/2 bolt in there with two nuts, one to hold the coil in and the other to hold the grounds down. After driving so many miles, the second bolt that held the grounds secure had worked its way loose. Tightened it up, started her, jiggled wires, all is right in the world (minus the oil leaks, the IAC that still needs to be done, the distributor cap and rotor, the transfer case, the two tires that are damn near bald, the faded paint, so on and so forth)

So, I bought about $200 in parts for a problem that a $2 wrench fixed. Oh well, at least I won't be in a position where I *HAVE* to buy them and not have the clams.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. some jeeps sometimes want you to Love on them, they return that Love with long life and you dont get stuck. Had that same problem with a Jeep several years ago.

Back