Door Electrical Problem

BigMac

I’ve got a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2.7 Limited with an electrical problem in the Drivers’ Door.
A couple of years ago this occurred, and now it’s back again!

All the lights on the Door Control Panel go out, apart from a small red light between the 1 & 2 Seat Memory buttons. None of the controls work (Mirror controls, Window(s), the Fob won’t lock the driver’s door (I have to do it with the Key) and also I’m getting no heat from the Heater (even though the Fan works and all the lights are on). Go figure!!!

Is there a relay hidden somewhere, maybe under the Dashboard, that has an intermittent problem?

I’ve taken the Door Card off, several times, and checked all the wiring, a mobile Auto Electrician has a look and he couldn’t find the problem.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks,

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz.com mobile app

I had an explorer that had similar problems - turned out that where the wires transition from the body of the truck to the door had frayed / broken from opening and closing the door for years. I'd try and look there.

I had an explorer that had similar problems - turned out that where the wires transition from the body of the truck to the door had frayed / broken from opening and closing the door for years. I'd try and look there.

Thanks Terry,
I will get my multi-meter out and try to check all the wires. It’s not an easy area to access, but I’ll give it a go. I’m pretty sure I looked at them a couple of years ago, but it’s always good to double-check!
Cheers

In my case, it was easy to see by just looking at the wires - the sheath was worn off and the copper was exposed. If I slammed the door enough the connections would touch, and the window would work for a while.

In my case, it was easy to see by just looking at the wires - the sheath was worn off and the copper was exposed. If I slammed the door enough the connections would touch, and the window would work for a while.

The last time I took the door panel off, all the wires looked OK, but I will have to try and find both ends of each one and check for a hidden break. Fingers crossed, I can track it down. Plan B would be a mobile Auto Electrician, Plan C (C for Cost!!) would be to book it into my local Jeep Dealer!!, I really don’t want to go down that road....

Back