new 1999 jeep chrookee sport producing a ton of smoke at hig

jss3426

i recently purchased a 1999 jeep cherookee sport. i was on the highway yesterday and when i had my A/c on and at speeds of 80mph +, i saw a lot of smoke coming out from the rear. i was told by passer by that the car was smoking. i pulled over and didnt see any smoke from the exhaust nor any smoke from underneath except a small smoke trail from near the catalytic convertor..any one has any ideas as to what makes my jeep smoking??

[addsig]

The same thing happened to me in my 94. I presume you didn't see any fluids leaking or lose any oil pressure. I asked around about it and I was told that there was probably a carbon deposit some where in the exhaust system that broke loose. I don't know how valid that is, but I haven't had any problems since. [addsig]

carbon particles,..hmm is this a normal behavior. it never happend at speed below 80mph, does this mean that at high speeds i will always see this behavior? i plan to drive to michigan where the speed limit i believe is 75Mph, if i see smoke as i have seen before, what do i do?

my car is still under factory warranty for a week or so..any ways to fix or find the whole issue and then try to fix it?[addsig]

Just because I'm a little paranoid, I would go ahead and check your spark plugs. If you pull them out one at a time you could illeminate wether or not each cyclinder is burning correctly. Take them out one at a time and look at them. This would also be a good time to replace them. If they are covered in oil, then you may have a problem with the plug or wire not working under heavy load. I would replace the wires too, they are only around $20 at Auto Zone and considering how easy they are to replace, it's worth the money.

Anyway, that's just my $0.02.[addsig]

Back