LED lights (brake, turn and maker) for my Jeep TJ

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I had gotten tired of the stock yellow marker lights, and red brake lights on my Jeep TJ, so decided to do a bit of an upgrade. I didn't want to spend a ton of money, as most LED packages are pretty expensive. This is how I upgraded my tail lights, and turn signals for less than most full kits.

Black / smoked tail lights - $30.29 on Ali Express.
These are generic black tail lights, and you could also get them on Amazon for a few dollars more. They also offer red if you're not into the Knight Rider look that I'm going for.

Screenshot 2024-01-08 091610.png

Amber Sequential Turn Signal - $29.99
These have a cool feature where the turn signal starts at the center of the Jeep and moves towards the outside.

71bj94Rmi2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Front Fender Side Marker Lights - $19.99
Nice looking clear lights that light up yellow

81c9L7K-LDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Flat Trailer Wiring Harness - $26.99
I didn't want to cut my Jeep wiring harness to install the brake lights, so I bought this trailer wiring harness that is plug and play. It will get cut instead of the Jeep.

71M3dvCKu-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

GCD Fits Jeep® 2001-2006 TJ Wrangler LED Flasher Relay - $28
This is required in order to use LEDs in a TJ. You replace the flasher in your steering column with this. If you don't replace the stock flasher, your LEDs will not blink or work correctly.

31SBXgSTIkL._AC_.jpg

The install
I started by wiring up the brake lights to my bench power supply. AliExpress didn't send any instructions, so figuring out what wire did what was a bit of trial and error.
You can see in this photo where I cut the trailer wiring harness and wired it to the lights. I soldered and used heat shrink tube for everything.

IMG_20230826_151524527_HDR-jeep-led-lights.jpg

The only other thing that gave me pause, was the side markers. They came with a smooth stud that the stock nut wouldn't screw onto. I used my tap and die kit to cut threads into the light, then used a nut from home depot to hold it on.

PXL_20231013_213738520-jeep-led-lights.jpg

PXL_20231013_213952787-jeep-led-lights.jpg

A note on LED flashers vs load resistors.
I originally purchased a "load resistor". This is an option when going from traditional lights to LEDs. They draw enough current to fool the stock flasher into working. They do indeed work, but what I found, is that they convert this power into heat. So much head that they will burn you if you touched them. I originally mounted them inside of my brake lights, and they were waaayyy to hot. I have no doubt that they would have melted the plastic housings. In my opinion, the LED flasher is a much better solution, and only $20 more.

When all is said and done, here is how things look:

PXL_20231013_221805362-jeep-led-lights.jpg

Brake lights on
IMG_20230826_171109686_HDR-jeep-led-lights.jpg

Last edited:

Nice!

Report back in a year on wear n tear plus hazing or dulling snd waterproof.
I use as addtional lights for backup mounted on my rear bumper snd the seals fail and the lights end up filling with water

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

I'll be the first to admit that the Aliexpress tail lights are not the same quality as my OEM ones. I've got the originals tucked away for the future.
I added in a video that shows the front turn signals - I like the way they sort of indicate the direction you are turning.

I like the way they sort of indicate the direction you are turning.

Sort of??

Like one on the left and one on the right wasn’t enough… :)

Install them upside down and keep everyone guessing.

I had a 66 T-bird with directional blinkers. It was cool. So is yours.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Back