Power windows..

limbmkr

COOL..

Power windows for 1989 Cherokee Laredo Jeep.

I took my drivers side panel off and tested the power going to the Master switches, They all have juices!! then my final thoughts pinpoint to the power window motor. I disconnected a wire that goes to power window motor and tested it and it shows 12 volt My friend told me on the other end from the power window motor, get an battery and Put Neg on Ground ( on body of the jeep) Then use red clip on positive and test one at a time on both that would go up and down, Motor didnt do a damn thing!!! ha Excuse my language. but Then I went to Napa for Power window motor, Geez 104 bucks!!

Want to ask you all for input maybe some of you know cheaper place to go and buy I dont mind blowing 50 bucks each but 104 bucks just for Drivers side!! I m talking replacing Front drivers side and passneger side and not gonna replace the back seat sides.. They are all dead!! Even power door lock n unlock too. Not gonna worry about it as long my key part works.

At the plug to the power window motor, try a continuity test. To make sure the wire between the plug and the motor isn´t broken. It seems it has a tendancy to break, right at the little black box, right at the motor. Two of us have had the wire break in the same spot this month.
The only time, I think about a replacement motor, is when the cable or motor slips (makes a ratchet sound).
I don´t know for sure, but I´m pretty sure the power to the door locks and the windows is two seperate fuses, two hot wires going to the master panel. If all your windows are out, check the fuse. Or possibly your, drivers motor is out and you have the lock switch, on the master panel in the lock position, this will make all the windows, on the other three doors not function (kind of a child saftey device). Don´t really know if the child safety lock, is standard or an extra. Both of my XJ´s has it, when it gets switched to the lock position and the windows stop working, I usually freak out for a moment or two, until I relize what happened, hit it with my elbow or something.
The drivers window works, even when the safety switch is locked. Probably not the reason the drivers window isn´t working.

Back