Liberty...

Annihlator95

Does anyone know if the liberties are any good for four-wheelin'? I know that I don't like them, but that's partially because they replaced my beloved Cherokee, and they haven't really lived up to the Jeep name from what I've seen, does anyone know about them?

they're ok if you dont get the running boards.... besides, it all comes down to driver skill anyway...

tread lightly decals?

I'm primarly a TJ man, but I've got a KJ (Liberty) too. Really it is the misses rig, but I do drive it a lot too. I've yet to do any serious off roading with it, but it has been impressive so far in all the snow that we have had this year. It even pulls some awesome donuts :lol: I always say I'm going to take it wheelen, but I always end up going in the TJ. I feel you on the XJ, they are a hell of a truck. Nothing looks cooler than a moded XJ :wink: Here is a link to a web site/group that wheel their KJs all the time. Good pics http://www.lostkjwest.com/index.html

And here is a pic of my or I should say the Ladies
image-missing.png

New to Jeeping and I'm just starting out. If you have any recommendations on upgrading shocks, exhaust and performance let me know. Thanks aload.

GreyGhost, Welcome. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. I'd suggest letting everybody know what kind of jeep you drive, and limit the questions in any one thread. Makes getting help a lot easier.

There's a lot of help here.
Glad to have you at jeepz.com.

Chris

It depends on the type of 4-wheelin you want to do. I've owned both an 98 XJ and an 02 KJ, but I never took the XJ offroad so I can't compare the two. The KJ was not intended to be a hardcore rock crawler. However, there are plenty of mods available to make it a capable trail rig. Superlift is coming out with a 4" suspension lift this Spring; the previous limit was 2.5".

Check out L.O.S.T. (Liberty Owners Special Team) at www.kjjeep.com. There are a few members who have a heavily modified KJ.

image-missing.png

Don't knock it till you try it right! Any vehicle with low range has to be good for some type of off road (you would think)

i know the liberty has independent 4 wheel suspension... i have yet to decide whether it is better for articulation or not as compared to the solid axles on the XJ's... you'd think it'd be tough to get a locker if you don't have a diff, eh? :lol:

IFS not all 4, IFS is great for a nice stable street ride, and if custom built, very capabile off road. The problem is a lot of production IFS systems are not designed for bouncing off rocks. In theory, Independent suspension would be great off road, higher center clearence, problem is most suspension components are made from stamped steel which are just simply not as heavey duty as a solid front axle. I have seen the best of both worlds would be the portal axles found in unimogs. and even better than that is the H! hummer. It has 4 wheel independent suspension that are all portal axle system, very effective design, just very expensive.

The Liberty is a great vehicle for the novice wheeler. It doesn't require lockers and huge tires to enjoy a 4wd vehicleoff road.

dingus said:
i know the liberty has independent 4 wheel suspension... i have yet to decide whether it is better for articulation or not as compared to the solid axles on the XJ's... you'd think it'd be tough to get a locker if you don't have a diff, eh? :lol:

Only the front has IFS...aluminum D30. The rear is a Corp 8.25. Several KJ owners have front and rear lockers (ARB, Powertrax, Detroit, etc.).

I think the XJ is the winner in articulation. However, some KJ owners have disco'ed the front sway bar to improve travel. Here's a pic

image-missing.png

In addition, not all KJ's have IFS...

image-missing.png

Man I'm not trying to bust on KJ's, but that flex pic above... I think my Wife's Caravan has that much wheel travel :?

TwistedCopper said:
Man I'm not trying to bust on KJ's, but that flex pic above... I think my Wife's Caravan has that much wheel travel :?

That is accually not bad for a factory IFS. It just looks wierd cause the body is not leaning due to articulation, one of those advantages of Independent suspension. reduces the chance of roll over.

Are there kits out there to improve the IFS in the kj's with tubular a-arms, long travel components, etc...?

Back